Should even move to secondary at this point?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tlh1005

Reaction score
I am having to rush two 5 gallon batches for the super bowl. I brewed an APA and a Pumpkin Ale last Monday, and I will keg them Thursday or Friday at the latest. This is going to sound crazy, but I was still planning to move them to secondaries today even if they're only going to be there for 4 or so days.

I've not been kegging since November, but so far I've managed to have clear, sediment free beer. I'm thinking I need to do the secondary still in order to maintain that. Considering my short time in secondary, is it overkill to still do it? I don't mind the extra work if it results in cleaner beer despite the short time. Or should I just stay in primary and keg Thursday straight from there? If there is still sediment that falls after I keg, does it typically come out in the first beer since it's at the bottom near the diptube?

BTW, I understand I am losing out on conditioning time, but I figure most people will probably be drinking whatever lite commercial beer I decide to get from the third tap and the two homebrews will just continue to age in the kegs.

Yeah I think it is worth it. That act of moving the beer seems to help get stuff to fall out faster although this could just be all in my head. But I too have noticed that even 3-4 days in a 'secondary' helps a little.

So these beers have barely been in primary a week and you wanna secondary them?

Are they even DONE fermenting??

If I were you I'd just go 'no secondary'. 4 days in secondary with only a week in primary...I don't see it helping much.
You'll get more yeast outta there by crash cooling while force carbing for 48 hours and then dispensing the yeast in the first pint.

/my 2 cents

Back