Primary Fermentation, Racking, Bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Kelly

Reaction score
Ok, so I started fermenting my cider in 2, 1 gallon jugs. Last night I racked them both into a 3 gallon carboy. I let the primary ferment for a week. So now my carboy is Still going. I used an Ale yeats. What I had tasted at that point was quite tasty, a bit yeasty, but quite tasty. How long should I keep the secondary fermentation going?? This is my first time brewing so I don't really want nastiness. I might shed a tear. :D

I don't use a secondary, but many follow the 1-2-3 rule. One week in the primary, two weeks in the secondary, three weeks in the bottle.

I don't understand the 1-2-3 rule ?

If you rack after 1 week, the cider is still fermenting vigorously no ! My technique is let it ferment to desired gravity in primary, rack and let age and clear in second until desired taste and look. then you can bottle it.

Comments ?

I would NOT bottle cider in a couple of weeks! It might not even be done fermenting. The 1-2-3 method works ok for many beers, but not many higher ABV drinks.

I would keep it in a carboy (or two one gallon jugs if you don't have the right sized carboy) under airlock until clear. That might be in just a few weeks, but it might be longer. If you have a hydrometer, you can use it to check and make sure it's done fermenting. Then, the cider can be racked (siphoned) into bottles.

Guess it depends on the cider. I've never had a cider with an ABV higher than 5 or 6.

OK, that brings me to another question. Since I have racked it to the carboy, I am getting some activity. It may be more and not showing because I filled my airlock with a little too much vodka and when it does get through the u pipe it's 4 or 5 bubbles every 45 secs, as opposed to 1 every 10 or 15 secs when in the 1 G Jugs. Should I have added more sugar? Or just let it finish off what I already had in the primary fermentation. As far as the hydrometer, I think it would be a good idea if I do get one, I'd rather be precise than half-ass. THANKS!!!

OK, that brings me to another question. Since I have racked it to the carboy, I am getting some activity. It may be more and not showing because I filled my airlock with a little too much vodka and when it does get through the u pipe it's 4 or 5 bubbles every 45 secs, as opposed to 1 every 10 or 15 secs when in the 1 G Jugs. Should I have added more sugar? Or just let it finish off what I already had in the primary fermentation. As far as the hydrometer, I think it would be a good idea if I do get one, I'd rather be precise then half-ass. THANKS!!!

A hydrometer is a good idea. That's the only way to tell if fermentation is finished. Lots of things can make an airlock bubble- fermentation, change in barometric pressure, moving the carboy, warmer temperatures, etc. So, there isn't any way to tell by bubbling what's going on. Counting bubbles to gauge fermentation stage is like trying to count raindrops to gauge the amount of rainfall. Sure, lots of bubbles probably mean fermentation is happening, just like lots of raindrops probably mean it's raining. But that's about all you will know without a hydrometer.

I'd suggest moving the cider to two 1 gallon jugs, if it's in a three gallon carboy now. You really want to prevent oxidation once fermentation is finished. I use Carlo Rossi jugs, and a #6 stopper fits perfectly.

I wouldn't add sugar- once you start adding sugar you're getting into wine territory and lose much of the "cider" flavor.

lol Love that analogy. OK great. Would it be worth filling up the rest of the carboy with additional unfermented cider? Or just stop asking questions and put it back in the gallon jugs?

lol Love that analogy. OK great. Would it be worth filling up the rest of the carboy with additional unfermented cider? Or just stop asking questions and put it back in the gallon jugs?

If you want to have three gallons of cider, you can add more cider to your fermenter. If you're ok with two gallons, you can rack it to the jugs. You just don't want so much headspace, whichever you decide.

Back