Computer help--need to make a copy of win xp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, I just bought a new computer, a Mac, and I want to do the boot camp partition thing so I can run some of my windows programs on the mac.

I have an old laptop that has XP on it, but the screen burned out so the computer is unuasable. Therefore, I'd like to use that old copy of XP instead of ******* out a gazillion bucks for a new copy. The one I have is "legal" so I'd like to use it if I can. However, I can't for the life of me figure out how to extract only the files I'd need from the boot/recovery disc to make a bootable disc for my mac.

Can anyone help, or point me to an idiot's guide?

The laptop should have come with a recovery CD which 9 times out of 10 can only be installed on the same OEM (brand) machines...

Technically what your trying to do is illegal due to corporate BS licensing...

If you choose to live dangerously and take risks, you could peruse the dark side of the internet and download a copy of the same version of XP thats installed on your old laptop and use the serial number off the sticker on the bottom of your old laptop...

Again, not legal but possible...

Then theres also the argument, you have a shiney new mac why pollute it with Windows?

Actually, doesn't the EULA allow you to transfer the rights to another machine if you pull the old one completely out of service? IOW, it's a single seat.

I do believe you are correct. It's not like you are giving, or selling, the OS to someone else. Your system died you're allowed to copy/install on the new system.

Actually, doesn't the EULA allow you to transfer the rights to another machine if you pull the old one completely out of service? IOW, it's a single seat.

Not necessarily true in OEM installs, they get the win xp license from M$ dirt cheap, and M$ requires it never leave that host...usually. You'd have to read the license for that machine.

Another option is to use Wine or Crossover Office/Crossover Games. What are you using windows for? If you have windows applications you can run them natively on mac os w/ Wine... If they're problematic on wine, crossover builds a version of wine much more stable and fix bugs specific to apps and guarantee they can make them work. I can run BeerSmith, BeerTools etc all on mac on wine or crossover just fine. No need for windows. I do have parallels installed for rare cases where I can't get an app to work but I almost never run windows ever anymore.

the cd-key for your laptop is for an OEM windows license only I don't think it will work on anything but a laptop of the same brand.
It is technically possible to transfer windows install from your laptop drive to a new drive and machine. You would have to boot up windows and create a new hardware profile in the device manager then shut the laptop down and yank the drive then use something like the dd utility in linux to copy the entire disk to a new drive, or you might just hookup the old 2.5" laptop drive with an adapter as a second drive in your new mac. either way you have to create a new hardware profile and then install all the new device drivers when you boot it on the mac.

Technically yes, but I do believe that if it's a OEM license it has to stay with that machine... (i think)

Not necessarily true in OEM installs, they get the win xp license from M$ dirt cheap, and M$ requires it never leave that host...usually.

That's absolutely correct. Unlike a retail copy (which may be transferred from one machine to another...assuming the original installation is deleted) the OEM versions that ship on new PC's and Laptops are licensed for that specific machine only, and the EULA prohibits its transfer even if the original machine is no longer in use.

Now that's a legal restriction, not necessarily a technical one. It's about 50/50 whether the OEM media from Dell or HP or whoever will actually install on a non-OEM machine. Many employ a BIOS check and will simply refuse to install if it detects a different BIOS than what its expecting. But sometimes it'll work. Depends on the manufacturer.

To the OP, you can purchase an OEM copy of Windows XP Home for $89 from newegg, ar XP Pro for $139. The same OEM restrictions apply on these versions...it's tied to the machine it's first installed on.

you can try using linux its free

try linix ubuntu
Download Ubuntu | Ubuntu

or

linux fedora - is similar to windows xp

Fedora Project

I will warn you though, its like starting all over again , you'll be reading allot of forums, but its not that difficult to figure out. (if you don't like it you can always re-install windows)

If you want to transfer the entire drive look into cloning you hard drive , sometimes that will work but most often not. , if it does you can have issues with bios / and drivers exc. like posted above.

OMG...didn't realize all of that. Hmmmm. Actually I'm trying to think if I can get away with not even using bootcamp. Wonder if my auto scantool interface has drivers for a mac...hmmmm.

You will need the install files to begin with and the others are correct if it's an OEM machine, the license stays with the machine. What is amazing is the number of windows images that are available on Torrent or Newsgroups. I mean, I've seen people who build a custom install of windows with updates and cool themes and stuff. Saves some time installing over the standard discs.

Back