IPA Kit at 1 week. Can I move to colder temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmckee56

Reaction score
I began a Brewers Best IPA kit 1 week ago and am wondering if I should now move it to a colder location. My basement has an area which stays consistant at 50 degrees and it's dark and dry. How long should I leave it there to obtain the best results? Is it advisable to rack to a secondary prior to moving it to a colder location?

Sorry, lots of Noob questions I know, but I am getting more brews under my belt every week and am learning slowly.

Thanks!

Salute! :mug:

You should ensure that the beer is pretty much done fermenting before moving it to a cooler room or moving to a secondary. At those temps the yeast will go dormant and if you remove it from the yeast cake it may not finish properly.

Check it with a hydrometer and if it has finished you can then move it. I would recommend 3 weeks total.

You don't want to move it to a colder location until your sure fermentation is complete. Make sure your gravity is consistent, then rack to secondary and let 'er sit a couple weeks in the cool area before bottling. Secondary would be a good time to dry hop if applicable as well.

What yeast are you using? If you have a good quality yeast and the krausen has dropped I'd definately wait until ten days and rack onto the dry hops and put it in the basement for a couple more weeks.

A lot of people don't use a secondary and just leave it in primary for 3-4 weeks. If you are dry hopping then you should secondary. Either way don't bother moving to a colder spot for an ale.

Latest posts

Back