BlackMan Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This in answer to my question about the sacc in American mix;
The American sacch is light phenol and fruity. Cool ferments for primary in the mid 60s for cleane less fruity. Then rack and let it go mid 80s for some acid. This will make a nice American saison. Also dry hopping does well with the American blend.
..Barrett*
So,I am thinking my usual hoppy Saiso grain bill-ish

Got swift answer.

48$ for 4 packs, shipped to Denmark. Payment made through Paypal, now there's only the wait :)

Well that was quick. My 4 yeast packets arrived today. Even came with a few stickers.

11159541_10206594008598243_1650137752038570149_n (1).jpg

I think I'm going to brew a Berliner Weiss on Big Brew Day. This upcoming weekend I am already doing a large brew event in which the beers must be clean ferment only as the brewery doesn't handle bacteria.

... Of course that's over a week away... who knows maybe I'll change my mind and brew a farmhouse ale...

When I get mine I shall brew a Saison 35% each vienna and pils,20%wheat and 10% sugar.
The Belgian mix is not so easy. Thinking Oud Bruin

Well I used the G4 in my beer yesterday. We shall see. I'm curious to see how it turns out. I will say the packet was different than just dried yeasts I've used. It had the dried yeast look/texture but it also had a very fine powder (which I assume is the lacto).

One thing I have noticed with the G4 blend... It's the most sulphorus batch of beer I've ever made. It's strangely kicking out a ton of sulphur.

Yeah I'm not worried about it, just seemed strange as I never really get that much sulphur in my beer fermentations. An under nourished cider or wine fermentation sure. I fully expect it to be fine.

Got my two packs and some stickers today. Super fast and a personal note written in the package. Cool guy!

Right?
I got some info on the back of a sticker.
I had questions,emailed twice and had super good answers within a day on both occasions

Right?
I got some info on the back of a sticker.
I had questions,emailed twice and had super good answers within a day on both occasions

That's great. I saw an ask from him looking for beta testers on Facebook. I sent him an email expressing my interest. No response. Ive moved on.

Thanks Mors, I went ahead and rehydrated mine as well. Pitched G4 into my first berliner weisse style brew last night. A bunch of firsts for me on this brew- first berliner, first decoction mash, first no boil and first sour/lacto pitch! Hoping it turns out alright! :mug:

Brewed last night.
60% Vienna
20%Pils
15%wheat
5% oats
OG 1.048
12ibu from Herkules@60 and another 8ibu@20
Going to pitch American Sour Mix

Hi All,

I brewed a Gose and a Berliner with the G4 blend. Made a 2 litre starter 2 days before and split it between the fermenters. First 3 days where at 20c, very vigorous fermentation, I raised the temp to 30c to favour the lacto for the last 5 days. Took a sample last night and, I'm not really getting much sourness. PH was 4.1 on both, the Gose has the beginnings of a nice looking pellicle too. Someone said that the ale yeast in the blend was Alt, but, I'm getting some serious Hefeweizen aromas and tastes which I think will work well if it sours up much more. Am I wasting my time trying to maintain 30c or, should I just leave it at room temp (18c where I have it) and let it do it's thing for a few more weeks?

It's been 5 days at 30c badlee and not sour at all, a little tart but, I expected more. I'll keep it at 30 another 3/4 days and test again. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks,
Mark

Looking forward to an update Mark.
I will be checking on my A4saison tomorrow

Hey badlee, do you have any more info on Barrett's recommended process/temp schedule? Is it basically the same for the different blends or does it differ from product to product?

Thanks!
Blair

It differs by strain.
A4
Ferment for one week in the low 60s for a cleaner ferment or mid-upper 60s for some fruitiness and phenolics.
Then bring up into 80s for a few weeks for acid production.

A4 – does well with American pale grist (can do 20 bitter IBUs, does well with dry hops)

B4 – recommend simple saison 80% Pilsner 20% with any including adjunct (recommend up 15 bitter IBUs the remain aroma light flavoring. Also does good with dry hops.)

I do not have a ph meter,but according to the scientific tool known to most as my nose,is smell like it has sourness going on

Back