Lager Bottling questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

covered95

Reaction score
Do I need to add yeast when I bottle my lager?

Do I use lager yeast or ale yeast?

If I don't add yeast do I prime and bottle and then store at 68 or at 50ish to build carbonation?

If I add yeast, how much do I add?

Final dumb question, do I use the same about of bottling sugar as I have with my ales?

Thanks for the help!

Well, sometimes I add yeast, but usually not. I guess the things to ask are how clear is it? and how long did you lager? What kind of yeast did you originally use? Some yeasts stay in suspension a long time and some never seem to want to flocculate out!

If you choose to add yeast, a little bit (like 1/4 of a package of dry yeast) is usually enough. I just added the yeast to the cooled priming solution and the bottled as usual. You can use regular dry ale yeast, since the flavor profile of the lager is finished and the minute amount of fermentation you get during bottle conditioning is not even noticeable in the final product. You would use the same amount of priming sugar, and keep at room temperature until carbed, just like for ales.

Back