No solder Counterflow Wort Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randyisrad

Reaction score
It being Christmas Eve and all, I figure I'd gift the homebrew world (specifically the cheap $&#tards out there).
I think I made this for around $10. Of course, I didn't count the copper, epoxy, or the hose since I already had them.
Here it is:
http://poorhousebrewing.blogspot.com/2010/12/diy-counterflow-wort-chiller.html

Btw...I anticipate the questions to center around
1) Why I didn't just solder
2) Won't the epoxy add a risk of chemicalizing the beer
3) Why didn't I just spend 7 bucks on a new hose

All questions can be answered by this: I'm a high school English teacher with 4 kids, I'd rather not spend the money :)

Next time (if there is one), I would lube the copper tubing with dish soap to help it slide in better. Also what is the temperature rating of all those glues and epoxy?

I'm new to all this but I wouldn't think you would chemicalize the beer unless it was coming into contact with the epoxy. But thanks for showing that making an CFC isn't real hard.

Next time (if there is one), I would lube the copper tubing with dish soap to help it slide in better. Also what is the temperature rating of all those glues and epoxy?

Dish soap...to quote Robbie Heart from the Wedding Singer, "you know that information... really would've been more useful to me yesterday!"
That part was by far the most difficult :)
As far as the epoxy and glue, the glue is rated up to like 240, I'm not sure about the epoxy; however, I used the same stuff to fix a leak in my radiator. I'm fairly certain it'll handle the heat.

Dish soap...to quote Robbie Heart from the Wedding Singer, "you know that information... really would've been more useful to me yesterday!"
That part was by far the most difficult :)
As far as the epoxy and glue, the glue is rated up to like 240, I'm not sure about the epoxy; however, I used the same stuff to fix a leak in my radiator. I'm fairly certain it'll handle the heat.

LOL, well its will be good information for people who want to use your idea for constructing this CFC. Good to hear about the glue.....would hate for this to come apart during operation. Now that would be a way to ruin a good brew day. Good job on the video and build.

Back