Can I take hydrometer readings during fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickwc5

Reaction score
I brewed my first batch on friday, it is now tuesday and the bubbling in the airlock has slowed down. Is it ok to pop the lid off and get a hydrometer reading? Also would it be a good time to rack into the secondary? Thanks.
By the way I used a brewers best IPA kit with an American ale yeast smack pac instead of the supplied yeast.

Give it at least five, preferably seven days in the primary. Dont worry about taking a reading until you rack it.

Patience is key.

- magno

I typically wait a full 7 days, then pop the top, take a reading, and rack to the secondary. If you're really dying to muck about in it, give it at least 5 days. Just remember, every time you mess with it, you risk contamination so the less time it spends exposed, the better.

yea I figured that was the answer. But Im getting anxious:ban:
But i have to just Relax, and have a homebrew (that i got from a buddy;) ) Thanks Guys

aekdbbop said:
any reason not to leave the hydrometer in the fermenter during fermentation??

It will get all "crudded up" during the kreasun and wont be readable, and if it doesnt reading it will be a huge PITA

Back when I started, I used to leave my hydrometer in the fermenter.

I didn't put it in until after the kraeusen had fallen and I left it there to get my 3 days of static readings before racking to the bottling bucket.

-walker

nickwc5 said:
yea I figured that was the answer. But Im getting anxious:ban:
But i have to just Relax, and have a homebrew (that i got from a buddy;) ) Thanks Guys
Don't forget not to worry :)

A little patience goes a long way. However, you can take as many hydrometer readings as you please - as long as you're willing to sacrifice some finished beer and risk contamination. I like to take a hydrometer reading just after cooling the wort and again a day or two after bubbling slows to 1 per minute.

Back