impatient

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoPhunk

Reaction score
I have had my hops planted for 4 weeks and still no sign of life. I'm not that worried as it won't warm up for some reason. I honestly don't fare if they don't grow as the biggest challenge was building the trellis.

Is there a set time it takes for hops to "pop?"

all mine were pokin through 2-3 weeks. however if conditions are not fantastic i see no reason that ur 4wks is a problem. if u gotta know u can carefully dig em up. I did that on one of mine and found why there were no shoots they all went out and not up. all finally poked through about 8-11" from the actual rizhome root piece.

I'm in central IL and mine have been up since I planted them this year... I have several over a foot already.

May want to do some digging and investigate.

I have a couple of questions. 1) Before you planted, did the rhizome show signs of life such as a sprouting node? 2) Did you plant it deeper than an 1"?

I planted about 20 rhizomes way back in April from my LHBS and from Homercidal and all came up within a week and some in 3 or 4 days and this was a month ago. I plant them horozontal with a light covering of soil and I make sure there is at least a couple of sprouts starting. I think these are very easy plants to grow so if you follow this, you should be ok. If you think maybe you planted them too deep, carefully dig them up and reset them.
The soil temps. are plenty high enough so that would not be a factor.

3 of the 4 had shoots, I dug them up and all had shoots growing I just planted them too deep. I really didn't do the hops justice the way I planted them. I was late getting the trellis up (which didn't matter), Late to plant my garden (hop gardent didn't get tilled, I just dug a hole filled with a bag of top soil and planted) And I have yet to use any fertilizer.

I am going to forget about them except for watering and weeding of course and RDWHAHB

Back