Simple labels.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xoltri

Reaction score
Thought I'd share my labels. My goal was to have easy to make, apply and remove labels and I think I've accomplished that. I size them so I can print 12 to a page and they are easy to cut out with one of these Fiskars portable paper trimmers that my wife uses for scrap booking:

I use a color laser printer to print them out and a glue stick to apply. Don't use an inkjet printer. The glue stick is great, it holds well and comes off easy with a 30 second wetting with water.

labelled.jpg

I am making labels for everything including wine. Some of the wine is not finished so neither are the lables but I update them before I print them. The descriptions are mostly just from the product information from the kits.
Link to full collection.

brewhouse%20honey%20blonde%20ale.jpg

grand%20cru%20vieux%20chateau%20du%20roi.jpg

edworts%20apfelwein.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks good! My labels are designed and ready to print, but I haven't printed any because I'm concerned about the ink running when they get wet (condensation). How do you overcome that? My idea was going to be print them normally, then use a sheet of laminate to cover them, then glue them on to the bottles. But that seems like a lot of work.

The color laser and plain paper is the answer. Laser printers use toner, not ink, so it doesn't run when it gets wet. If you don't have a color laser printer then you can generate a PDF file from your label document with PrimoPDF (free) and take it to any copy place. Should be pretty cheap.

Also OpenOffice (which is awesome by the way) can make PDF's straight from the file menu.

Just a quick observation. The placement of "Melanie and Anthony " and "bottled" aren't align the same in the apfelwein as the other two.

Other than that, pretty slick looking!

Hey thanks!

On some labels I needed more room so I moved that down. Also I challenged my wife to come up with a brewery name but she has yet to deliver...

The ink runs really bad with an inkjet, even from minor condensation on a bottle, or worse if it's in a cooler of ice. My first label was a for a peach wine and I learned my lesson on that quickly. So the work you put into the label will be almost immediately destroyed upon serving. Also a laser printer puts a layer of toner on the paper which actually holds the paper together somewhat when it is wet...you know how fragile wet paper is.

You could spray some sort of art fixative on your labels if you use an inkjet but I've experimented with this in the past and it's a lot of work.

I forgot to post one of the photos...the honey blonde ale yielded just over 67 bottles and it is delicious and carbonated after just 9 days in the bottles.
labelled2.jpg

Back