Building my AG setup....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jajabee

Reaction score
Went a little crazy with the credit card this morning. The husband's off having fun in NY this week, so I figured I deserved it. ;)

Finally ordered a brew pot of my very own, the AHS stainless steel 10 gallon "megapot". I'm getting the weldless ball valve/bulkhead with it, and a hole pre-drilled. I'm pretty excited. :) I also ordered a Thermothingy for my brand new rubbermaid MLT from Midwest, so all I have left to get is a false bottom for the MLT (I'm gonna try the plastic plate with holes drilled in it method), the parts to turn my 45' of copper tubing into an immersion chiller, and some random tubing and hop bags, and I'm in business!!

Whoa, the brewpot's already been shipped from AHS!! Damn, that was fast. Custom hole drilling and everything!

You'll love the megapot. Mine rocks. One thing you'll eventually want, though, is some kind of pickup tube. I went through various ideas in my head and spent far too long in the plumping isle of HD figure it out. Finally i settled on a simple three-piece setup that i soldered together (it's much easier to sweat copper than you think). I finally got around to measuring the amount of trub left in the pot and it came in just under 3 cups. Before adding the pickup tube i'd have to tip the pot if i didn't want to leave closer to a gallon in the pot (the hole sits a bit up from the bottom, or at least mine does).

Congrats on the spending, though. Have you thought about a SS braid for your MLT instead of the false bottom? I know some people dislike them, but mine has worked flawlessly in both my 2 gallon cooler and now in my 7 gallon cooler.

I've thought about the SS braid, yeah... the system I've been borrowing has a nice SS false bottom, though, and I like how it doesn't interfere with stirring... I'd worry I'd rip that braid right out. :)

Things are moving right along with my setup... I found a nice plastic plate for $4 that I'm in the process of riddling with 1/16" holes (takes a while), and my $25 45' ribcage chiller just needs some hi-temp tubing and it'll be ready to go. About to go pick up an almost-new $40 Camp Chef 60K burner + empty tank off craigslist (score!), then should be ready to assemble everything tomorrow as the brew pot and thermothingy are delivered! And then unfortunately I'll have to wait till the weekend to brew, since I got called into work on Wednesday. :rolleyes:

Back