Source for New Bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fenster

Reaction score
I ususally do a good job of cleaning my bottles immediately after use, so sanitation is not a big problem.

The bottles my friends try to give me are usually encrusted with funk, and I'm sick of all the cleaning. :(

I don't have room or money to get into kegging.

Does anyone out there have a good (cheap) source for new bottles?
The shipping will probably kill me, but something has to change.
Google searches tend to turn up every type of bottle other than beer.
LHBS is around $14 for 12 22's or 24 12's.

Thanks.

You can spend around $24 and get 12 quart bottles of Tecate or Carta Blanca and you get to drink the beer as well. They make bottling go fast too.

MoreBeer is in Riverside.
Plan a daytrip out there on one of their brewing days, I think it is the 1st and 3rd Saturday of every month.
Get to taste some samples from the previous brewday and you can stock up on supplies.
I just bought 3 cases of 22's last weekend from them, $10.99 a case of 12 I think.
AP

You are 100% correct. Shipping will kill you.
Get a bench caper and get bottles every morning when the bar opens. most bars re-box the empty bottles anyway, they will usually give them to you free.

If you ever get to Colorado, the Brew Hut sells plain 'ol brown 12 oz bottles for $8.99 for a case of 24. They ship too, but I don't think that'd be too affordable.

I get my bottles from the local specialty beer store. Any microbrew or import will likely be in a cappable bottle, so I just grab what looks nice, and pay for the deposit. They store knows that homebrewers are some of their best customers (they used to sell HB supplies) and buy the more expensive beers.

If you don't have bottle deposits in your state, try the bars, like suggested.

Strangely enough, I've also gotten wine bottles at this place, even though there is no deposit on wine bottles...

Guiness is nice because the labels come right off and they have a nice shape. Hoegaarden cleans up easily and also has a sexy shape.

I just picked up 4 cases of Sam Adams bottles for $7 total (1.20 deposit + .55 for the box?). The LHBS wants $12.99 (per case) for new bottles.

I have yet to find anything cheaper than $10.99 per case locally and like everybody has said..shipping will kill ya.

-JMW

Back