Vintage Fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capntang

Reaction score
Has anyone used a vintage fridge for a kegerator?

There's one available nearby for $25 - a 1950s or so Gibson round top - that runs and is in pretty good condition. While it immediately seemed like a cool idea, I'm beginning to wonder whether it's worth attempting.

It would only hold two or three kegs, but since I'm just starting out, that might not be an issue for a while. I question the reliability of a fridge that old, but it's really not much of an issue at $25.

What do y'all think? Cool idea for a kegerator, or waste of time?

Lot of times older fridges will cost $15 +++ more per month, than newer ones in electricity.

I got rid of one I had in the garage, and was amazed at the electric bill savings.

capntang said:
I question the reliability of a fridge that old, but it's really not much of an issue at $25.

That fridge has been running like a top for almost sixty years. I think its reliability is well documented.
That said, it will certainly be juice hog.

But it'll look cool.........

with a tin icebox set up as my second kegerator and I was told it would be pretty efficient because it didn't have all the extras like auto defrost. If you have good seal from the door gasket & use a temp control like a Ranco, it should be OK.

Back