Single Infustion at 157

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kluge9

Reaction score
Picked up a Bohemian Pilsner AG kit from my LHBS and its one of their "secret" recipes so they don't tell you what's inside. I think its dumb but to each their own, HOWEVER, the instructions on their grain bag (roughly 10lbs) states for a single infusion mash, hold it at 157 for 60 min. That's a bit high, no? This is my first lager so I am not fully up to speed but it sounds like it will take away a lot of the fermentables but leave a lot of body and maybe a bit sweet.

You guys think I should run it as they say or go a bit lower like 154? (will be batch sparging for 10 min with 170 water)

Thanks.

It sounds like your up to speed with what the mash temp does so its really up to you. Seems too high for my tastes. Have you tried the final product before? If it was done like that and you liked it then do it. If you like it drier then lower the mash temp.

Thanks. Between this forum and Palmer's book, I lose hours to "research." I haven't tasted the kit before but I'm going to go in at 154. Without knowing any adjuncts used, I don't want to leave that many unfermentables in the beer.

Seems pretty high. I mash at 155ish F for stouts and hearty beers. I'd want a Pils on the lighter side.

Word on the street is lagunitas mashes up near 158 if that helps at all.

Latest posts

Back