Beer backflow into regulator..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zman3382

Reaction score
Well... in my bone headed move of the week I disassembled my kegerator beer and gas lines (which Ive done a thousand times) to take them to a party, and then proceeded to switch the lines when hooking them up at the party. Short story short, I believe I have run beer back into my regulator. It is a tap-rite that came with my danby kegerator. It seemed to work fine once I had all things reconnected, and I have since disassembled the regulator body and put it back together. I. appears to be working.. mostly. The low pressure gauge seems sluggish now, as turning the pressure adjusting screw does not seem to work very well at present (the screw turns but the poppet may be sticking a bit), and there is an audible "burping" perhaps from an overflow valve if i close the 'gas out' shut off and then turn off the tank. The guts did not seem to have any residue on them. I'm not sure if the gas out ball valve has a built in check or not, but I would assume not as this is a lower end model. Is there any harm in rinsing the insides off with water? Should I take the gauges off and dunk any parts? Any info on the process of servicing a reg from someone more 'in the know' would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time!

I actually did the same thing with (I believe) the same regulator from a Danby kegerator. Foolish of me to assume there was a check valve on a regulator designed to be paired with sanke kegs. I took the entire thing apart, soaked in oxyclean, rinsed well, and let dry completely. I took photos of the process as I went along, because there are some tiny parts in there that must go one way or the other, and it's easy to forget their order.

Also, there there are 2 high pressure inlets -- gas in from the tank and the high pressure gauge, and they are reverse threaded. The 2 others are low pressure gauge and gas out, and they are normal threads. (I'm 90% sure it was that way and not vice versa). So keep that in mind when disassembling. I spent an awfully long time wondering why the hell I couldn't get them to unscrew before I realized that.

If you choose to install a check valve this time, the ball valve will no longer fit unless you find the correct coupler (which I couldn't). Make sure you use teflon tape when you reconnect the gauges, etc. to the regulator body.

Latest posts

Back