Looking for a strong intoxicating blonde offering good head

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dionysos911

Reaction score
I looked through the recipe section of the forum but only saw 2 extract recipes. Does anyone have any suggestions for a blonde that has a bit of a wheatie flavor, a fairly high OG, but fairly smooth and clean overall for summer drinking?

I was thinking of just getting a blonde kit from morebeer and adding 2lbs of dry wheat extract.. not sure how that would turn out..

Which 2 recipes did you find? BM's Centennial Blonde seems to be a favorite around here, an extract version of which can be found here

I can vouch for the quality of the extract version. I did mine with all perle hops. I also used 1/2lb dextrine and 1/2lb carapils (15L) for my steeping grains.

You could add some more DME or LME and add a little flaked wheat to the steep for some wheaty flavor.

I used 6lbs LME, and I certainly could have gone higher without compromising flavor. Maybe some inverted sugars to make the wort higher gravity without adding body or maltiness?

I'm going to do a Kolsch beefed up a little with some wheat dme. Maybe something like that would fill the bill for ya. Pretty easy to find a Kolsch recipe or kit. I just ordered a kit from Windriver from their internet newsletter special for $21 with wyeast.

I just finished brewing an extract Blonde Ale from AHS that had

7 lbs Extra light LME
1 oz Cascade (60 min)
1 0z Willamette (5 min)

with WLP 001 California Ale yeast, and it turned out really nice, about 5.2% abv. It doesn't have any wheat but it has this kind of spicy hop character that I associate with some wheat beers. As soon as I tried it I made another one just like it, good stuff.

The Windriver Kolsch kit:
6 Lbs Gold Malt Extract, 1 oz Tettnanger bittering hops, 1 oz Saaz aroma hops, 1/4 Lb Vienna Pils & 1/2 Lb Caramel 10 L & 1/4 Lb Wheat Malt grain blend, yeast, priming sugar
with Wyeast 2565 Kolsch

The wheat seems to me to be a natural extension to this recipe so I thought i'd try adding a cup or 2 of wheat dme, maybe more, I know I have a few lbs. Sometimes I can't decide till I'm brewing. I have some Styrian Goldings I could work in too if I end up adding enough of the dme that it would seem to unbalance the brew. Probably a good idea if you add a couple more lbs to a recipe.
Happy brewing

So here's what I am going to do for this beer. I ordered a blonde kit from morebeer.com and added some modifications. My friend suzanne is helping me make it so I told I'd name it after her..

Suzannes Dirty Skanky Blonde

2.00 lb Wheat Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 20.00 %
7.00 lb Pale Liquid Extract [Boil for 15 min] Extract 70.00 %
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.00 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 5.00 %
0.50 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (60 min) Hops 9.3 IBU
0.25 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (45 min) Hops 4.2 IBU
0.25 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (15 min) Hops 1.2 IBU
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale

Debating a smidge of orange bitter peel. This should come out to essentially be an imperial blonde, if that even exists..

Thoughts?

Sounds friggin' tasty. I think the bitter orange, added in secondary, would be marvelous.

So I made this recipe yesterday with a few people after we spent a few hours celebrating a kickball victory at a local divebar.. Long story short, all the ingredients got in there, not entirely certain the order or the length..

Moral of the story, it may be possible to be too drunk to brew..

I'm looking to make 2 batches of Blonde, 1 regular, and 1 with a fruit addition.

I'm an extract/kit brewer. This will be the first time I've ordered individual ingredients.

I'd like to use the BM Blonde Extract recipe linked on the first page. But it calls for 9 lbs of DME. That's almost $40 in extract alone. Then hops and steeping grains. That seems a little excessive when I could order a Blonde kit from AHS for about $30-$35.

What am I not seeing here?

So here's what I am going to do for this beer. I ordered a blonde kit from morebeer.com and added some modifications. My friend suzanne is helping me make it so I told I'd name it after her..

Suzannes Dirty Skanky Blonde

2.00 lb Wheat Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 20.00 %
7.00 lb Pale Liquid Extract [Boil for 15 min] Extract 70.00 %
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.00 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 5.00 %
0.50 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (60 min) Hops 9.3 IBU
0.25 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (45 min) Hops 4.2 IBU
0.25 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (15 min) Hops 1.2 IBU
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale
Orange Bitter

Thoughts?

At first I was really worried this beer was going to be horrific mess considering the drunken mess I was when brewing. I had some last night after letting it age a bit and WOW.. It's really good. Almost has a silky taste too it. My friend who doesn't even like beer (not sure what his problem is) really enjoyed it. Time heals all..

Bring up the temp slowly.... add.... "Seed".... Steep for 30 min then let drain. turn up the heat to "Boil" intensity, Add spice, repeat with less and less every 15 min for an hour then add that last batch at flameout.... Then Chill and relax your hard work is done.

Sorry couldn't resist.

Back