Priming question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

histo320

Reaction score
Okay this is only like my 10 question today.

I am wanting to move my Dark Thunder (Strong Stout) into a my secondary tomorrow so I can brew another batch (i'm addicted). In previous batches, I have boiled 3/4 cup corn sugar, then added it to the bottom of my bottling bucket (which would be used as my secondary) and racked the beer on top in a swirling action.

Question: Would it be okay just to put the priming solution in the priming bucket and stir/wait to let it settle?

The sugar needs to be mixed into the beer thoroughly and evenly. If the sugar isn't mixed evenly, when you bottle, you will end up with more sugar in some bottles than others. You will get some undercarbonated bottles and some that are overcarbonated (possibly dangerously so).

I don't think that it matters how you mix in the sugar as long as you do it evenly. I don't know that just pouring it in and letting it settle will do that. If you do mix or stir, also be careful not to add air to the beer. That could make for problems later.

You say you're using your bottling bucket as a secondary, but putting your priming sugar into it when you rack it? If you're going to use a secondary, the beer should be racked with no priming sugar and left alone for about 2 weeks to clear (usually into a class carboy), then you add your priming sugar to the bottling bucket and rack right before bottling. If you are adding sugar to the bottling bucket and then immediately bottling, that is not considered a secondary. If you add the priming sugar and then let it sit for a week or two before bottling, your priming sugar will be consumed by the yeast before it's bottled and you won't get proper carbonation.

I guess what's not clear to me is, are you bottling tomorrow or just moving it to secondary? Because if you're going to secondary, you shouldn't be adding any sugar at this time.

To answer your question, I boil the priming sugar with about 1.5 cups of water for a couple of minutes, then add to the bottom of my bottling bucket and rack on top of it. As long as your siphon hose is positioned at the side of the bottling bucket it should create a slow swirling action as it comes in which is usually enough to mix properly. I usually give a couple of slow stirs (no splashing) with a sanitized spoon to be sure it's mixed well, then commence bottling. There should be no need to wait for anything to settle.

I guess what's not clear to me is, are you bottling tomorrow or just moving it to secondary? Because if you're going to secondary, you shouldn't be adding any sugar at this time.

I was planning on using the bottling bucket as a secondary and not adding the sugar until I was ready to bottle. Sorry about the confusion.

I think my plans have changed. I am a a good fg, and will probably bottle tonight and skip the secondary. I've never used one before have been happy with my results. For my next batch, I am defintely going to use a secondary.

Latest posts

Back