Stout recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOOTER

Reaction score
I'm going for a stout that's roasty and sweet with a smooth mouthfeel that would go down well after dinner (or after breakfast:drunk:). This should end up about 4.8% ABV, 38 SRM and 24 IBU. What do Y'all think?

5 lbs. light DME
1 lb. Rolled oats
1/2 lb. Chocolate malt
1/2 lb. Roasted barley
2 oz. Black patent
4 oz. Unsweetened chocolate
1 lb. Lactose
3/4 oz. Northern Brewer (45 min)
Safale S-04

If it were me I'd drop the black patent. The rest looks good (though 1lbs of roasted is a lot in a 5G batch, will take a while to mellow) though I have no experience with chocolate so hopefully somebody else will chime in.

If it were me I'd drop the black patent.

I added that mainly for color. I like to use light extract and get my color from specialty grains. Should I replace it with 1/2 lb. of dark crystal or something like that?

Edit: It looks like I can get the same color with 1/2 lb. of crystal 120L. Maybe that's what I'll do.

Your Roasted Barley is giving you more than enough color. Your Chocolate Malt is giving you even more. I would not be concerned with the color, and I would not add C120 just for color. C120 will add some burnt raisin/dark fruits/fig like flavor.

If you are still concerned with color and your dark steeping grains arent enough for you, get some huskless dark grain, which does not add any roast or burnt flavors, (Carafa Special) and take an ounce or two and grind it in a coffee grinder and throw it in.

1lbs of roasted/chocolate will make that stout black, you don't need the patent. ;)

True. The patent is gone, but I'm still tossing around the idea of adding some crystal malt. The 120L may add some depth of flavor that could be beneficial. At the same time a simple, roasty sweet oatmeal stout is the goal. I'll have to ponder that one a bit.

How about the S-04? I have yet to use this strain. Would this be a good choice for a stout?

I've heard that safale is good in all British ales. Let me know how it turns out because I want to make a stout next and use s-04

I've heard that safale is good in all British ales. Let me know how it turns out because I want to make a stout next and use s-04

I'll let you know in a couple months. I think Tom Petty was talking about homebrew when he said "Waiting is the hardest part". :D

If you want to go the liquid yeast route, Wyeast Irish Ale makes a fantastic stout.

I've been using strictly liquid yeast lately with good results, but the best brew I've ever made was my brown ale with US-05 so I figured I'd give dry yeast another go.

Back