White Labs 860 Munich Helles Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm pretty excited about this upcoming White Labs platinum strain for March/April.

WLP860 Munich Helles
This yeast helps to produce a malty, but balanced traditional Munich-style lager. Clean and strong fermentor, it's great for a variety of lager styles ranging from Helles to Rauchbier.
Optimal Temp: 48-52F
Flocculation: Medium
Attenuation: 68-72%
Alcohol Tolerance: Medium
(Source: White Labs - New Strains)

I can't help but wonder if it's the Augustiner strain. Pure speculation, of course...

Since Helles is my favorite style, I'll probably do a side-by-side comparison with Weihenstephan 34/70 to see how it behaves.

I'm in the opposite boat; my LHBS only carries Wyeast, although for lagers I mostly use dry yeast. The LHBS carries only S-23 so I have to get my S-189 and W-34/70 by mail order.

I've never tried the 2487--maybe for next fall's Bock.

I'm in the opposite boat; my LHBS only carries Wyeast, although for lagers I mostly use dry yeast. The LHBS carries only S-23 so I have to get my S-189 and W-34/70 by mail order.

Where do you order your S-189? I've never used it, but I've heard Many Good Things. I seem to remember reading a post where Denny Conn endorsed it.

Where do you order your S-189? I've never used it, but I've heard Many Good Things. I seem to remember reading a post where Denny Conn endorsed it.

I ordered mine from American Brewmaster. I'm just using it for the first time now (currently in d-rest). It sure takes a long time to work compared to W-34/70.

I can't help but wonder if it's the Augustiner strain. Pure speculation, of course...

No inside info, but based on recommend fermentation temps, probably not. BSI banks this yeast for professional brewers, and as you can see here, they give a range of 52-62 for this strain. WL states 48-52 F.

Was hoping to pick up the WLP860 today at my LHBS, but they didn't have it yet. Bummer. Going to use the Wyeast 2487 instead I guess for this go round Helles.

TriangleIL said:
Was hoping to pick up the WLP860 today at my LHBS, but they didn't have it yet. Bummer. Going to use the Wyeast 2487 instead I guess for this go round Helles.

Mine just told me they would have it on friday. They told me that last week too though.

Changed my plans completely, and I am going to use 2124. I couldn't wait for them to order it by the end of the week. Hope I don't miss out on a great yeast for the style.

Brewed up 10gals today mainly for a kolsch but I split it in half and used the other 5 gals for a Dortmunder and used this yeast. I will say this is the first white labs yeast I've ever got that the vial was almost all yeast slurry, I was impressed.

Back