First brew questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USFBull

Reaction score
I'm brewing a pale ale, first time brewer. I accidently broke my airlock while transfering onto the secondary. I took a tube squeezed it into the gromet and place the other end of the tube into a 8 once jar half filled with jack daniels and vodka. Is this going to be ok?

Final gravity reading was 1011 i believe. I took a taste it was a little watery but it was actually damn good.

I am dry hopping with an once of hallertua and I was curious if I should let the muslin bag fall down into it completly or hang it out a little so i can get it out easier when its time for bottling?

thanks for the input

Steve

Airlock- you should be fine. Many people use cheap vodka in their airlocks.

Hops- different strokes for different folks. Some put sanitized marbles in the bag with the hops so that the hops submerse, others let it float.

As far as watery beer- That sometimes happens with extract only beers in my experience. Try steeping grains or even a partial mash next time and your beers will continue to get beter. You can do a search on both steeping a partial mashes, there is a ton of info out on it.

Congrats!
Dan

Flat green beer is always "watery" top me.

I'd say...sink those hops. There is still some active fermentation going on at the bottom of that vessel and that's where the goodness will get "knocked" out of those hop pellets.

Thanks for the advice. I did steep grains, here is the recipe, Its seems like it is pretty good, but this is my first time.

1/2 pound crystal
1/2 pound wheat Tied off in muslin bag and steeped in 3 gallons with burton water salts for 25 minutes at 155 degrees

Heated to boil, added 1 ounce saaz hops two 3.3 pound cans light liquid extract

After 30 minutes added 1/2 ounce fuggles hops

15 minutes later added 1/2 ounce fuggles hops and 1 teaspoon irish moss and continued boiling 15 minutes

Took off heat, cooled, pitched yeast, finished fermenting in 4 days and final gravity 1011 was reached today Day 5.

Siphoned into the secondary, broke my airlock, added 1 ounce hallertau hops in a muslin bag with 5 marbles

I think next time I'll go all grain.

Back