YA DIPA Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pfooti

Reaction score
Yep. It's another DIPA. Feedback is welcome, I'm trying to specifically target a friend of mine who tasted my Pliny the Elder clone and liked it, but thought it was a bit on the thin side. I like the centennial, simcoe, amarillo combination; I think it's the right note of citrus and pine together.

On the other hand, I've got a bunch of other hops available to me (just got a big shipment in from nikobrew) and could use willamette, columbus or mt hood as well. The grain bill is also negotiable; I'm trying to get away from using so much crystal in all my beers, I feel like things are a bit too sweet.

5.5 gal batch size

12# 2-row
5# munich
1# cara-pils

Projected 75% efficiency, 80% attenuation
OG: 1.082
FG: 1.016
ABV: 8.7%
Color: 12 SRM
Yeast: Pacman
Mash at 152F, 60 min rest, 75 min boil

1 oz warrior @ 60
1 oz centennial @ 60
0.25 each simcoe, amarillo, centennial @ 30
0.25 each simcoe, amarillo, centennial @ 15
0.50 each simcoe, amarillo, centennial @ 5

1 oz Amarillo dry
1 oz Centennial dry
0.5 oz Citra dry

I like the grain bill a lot. I would sub out maybe one lb of base malt for sugar to help the beer dry out. With Munich and carapils, you will have plenty of malt backbone. Now you need it to be nice and fermentable.

As for your hop schedule, you are lacking in late addition and dry hops. For a DIPA, you really need that late addition hop charge so that the malt doesn't overpower the hops. I would at least double you last addition, if not triple it. Also, wait til KO for it. With a 15 min addition, you don't need the 5. Save as much aroma as you can by adding it as late as you can. As for dry hops, I would double that too.

If your going for max aroma, I would use the 5 min additions at flameout, you'll get way better results.

Looks like a solid beer.

Awesome, thanks for the tips. I'll move that 5-min addition to flameout and beef it up. Can only do this beer once in a while; that's a lotta hops.

Awesome, thanks for the tips. I'll move that 5-min addition to flameout and beef it up. Can only do this beer once in a while; that's a lotta hops.

If you're going to bump up the flameout, I'd just move the 30 min add there. The flavor added should be about equivalent and it'll come with much more aroma.

Back