Flavoring a kit.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmilinGoat

Reaction score
Ive done a few kits so far, a few have turned out, one was a waste (i think i just didnt like the kit though)

Right now im brewing an Alaskan Amber clone, but i want to flavor it for my fiancee. She likes Pomegranate so i got a large jug of Pom Wonderful, i just have no idea how much to use, also im hoping to keep the alcohol content down and im not sure how much the sugar in the juice is going to effect that.

32g sugar per 8oz serving
48oz total
196g of sugar total

not sure what else to say... she wants a strong pomegranate flavor.

you can use pom, but the flavor might not come out so clear in something like an amber. a wheat/pom beer would be something to maybe try, and that would showcase that pom flavor :mug:

also:don't add juice to boil. this is a time when it would deff be a good idea to use a secondary. the juice will probably cause fermentation to kick up again and krausen to form.

you can use pom, but the flavor might not come out so clear in something like an amber. a wheat/pom beer would be something to maybe try, and that would showcase that pom flavor :mug:

also:don't add juice to boil. this is a time when it would deff be a good idea to use a secondary. the juice will probably cause fermentation to kick up again and krausen to form.

Yeah, i think im going to have to try this a few times for her. she actually got the beer ahead of time, her thought process was basically "i like pom" + "i like alaskan amber", so that is what i have to work with, lol. i'll try a wheat next for sure.

Thanks for mentioned the "dont add juice to boil" i would have made that mistake. i normally do a secondary so that wont be a problem.

one last concern i have is adding so much juice that the beer ends up with a high alcohol content, she favors a lower level, around 4.5-6%. This beer should end up being about a 5% how much sugar would add about 1% alcohol? im having a hard time finding an answer to this part.

Thanks! :fro:

1lb of pure dextrose will add about 1%. with the numbers you posted above you should be looking at <.5% increase if you add the whole thing.

Back