English pale recipe question/ critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WVbrewer

Reaction score
Ok...I've got a friend who enjoys my basic english bitters. However, he also likes scotch, and english snuff (tobacco you snort for those unaware, with a bit of sweetness in the finish). He'd like something like a esb, but with a toasty, slightly smoky peat quality. I looked at honey malt, sounds nutty and slightly sweet, but not sure since I've never used it. I'm looking to brew this weekend and deliver a case to him for Christmas (I'm keeping a case for myself....gotta keep the pipeline going!) Here's what I came up with......any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

7.75 English 2-row (Halycylon)
1 lb victory malt
.5 lb crystal 60l
.5lb honey malt
3 oz smoked peat malt
1oz Kent goldings 60 min
.75oz Kent goldings 15 min
.5 oz fuggle 1 min
Safale-04 yeast

Hoping for 5% abv (brewhouse 75%)
25 IBU
10 srm

Thanks

Sounds yummy. Send me a bottle!

I wouldn't change anything, but I think a little bit of Vienna or Munich malt, while not true to style, would add a little complexity to the recipe that might be interesting.

hercher, thanks for the response. I think I've got a pound of munich; might be a nice addition. It's funny you mention complexity.....It's going to be called "Kevin's Komplexity Pale Ale".

Looks pretty tasty! I wouldn't fuss with the Munich myself - I <3 Victory! - but if you think it's a good addition by all means use it. Otherwise I'd leave it alone.

By the by, it's "Halcyon". "Hal" is the computer in 2001, and a "Cylon" is what chases Starbuck. :D If you were after a science-fiction beer, I hate to burst your bubble.

Bob

Yeah....had a couple when I put up this post. Sci-fi was not part of the recipe . Has anyone tried honey malt? I've got conflicting characteristics from my various homebrew book resources. Thanks

Latest posts

Back