White spots on inside wall of bottled beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smalltown2001

Reaction score
I bottled a Pale ale about 3 weeks ago, kept it at room temperature for 2 weeks to carbonate, and then put it in the basement for a week. I brought up a bottle a few days ago, put it in the fridge to cool it, and tried it the next day. It had great head, nice carbonation, decent taste (though still a little green), but it had something that worried me. After I poured it out, saving the 1/4" of yeast in the bottle, I looked inside the bottle, and covering all of the walls inside of the beer bottle was tiny small specks. And it wasn't just a few patches, it was consistently on all sides, and on the bottom as well. I looked at a few bottles in the basement, and they have the same thing, after holding the bottle up to the light I see a lot of specks along the walls of the bottle. Now, I did not see any white ring around the top of the bottle, that is consistent with infections, and the only thing I come up with is that it is yeast from carbonation, and it will break off the walls and settle in the bottom with time (hopefully?). When I shook the bottle from side to side, some of it did break off and settle to the bottom. FYI I rinse bottles after opening, store upside down, then a few days before bottling I wash in hot water (using straight a cleanser if needed) with a bottle brush, and then sanitize in the dishwasher using the heat cycle. Any ideas or experiences with this? Thanks!

I've seen this a few times. As near as I can tell it is just yeast. My first experience had more of it on one side of the bottles as if the dots were magneticly charged and were seeking a certain direction. I don't know if it might happen with one yeast and not another or maybe enviromental conditions but I don't believe the beer suffered any ill effects.

i have the same problem right now with the bottles, they're ready to drink but i dont know if i should give it some time or just drink em n not worry bout it

It IS just yeast. Sometimes more will cling to one side of the bottle than all the way around. I've not had this happen for a while but I was starting to see that certain times of the year or seasons seemed to be an influence.

Latest posts

Back