How to clean the burs from insides of the copper pipes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Take a piece of sandpaper and fold it so the sand is on the outside. Stick it in the slot and go at it.

I think some people are missing what the OP is looking for. He is not looking to deburr the end of the pipe. He has cut slits across the pipe for use as a manifold if I am reading his post correctly.

Get a piece of 3/8" diameter steel or aluminum rod long enough to go beyond half way into you tube. Use a hack saw to put a slit about an inch long in the end perpendicular to the diameter. Fold a short piece of emery cloth in half and put it in the slit so it sticks out each side a half inch. Put this in a pistol drill and use it to hone out the tube from both ends.

Did I explain that right? A picture would be better :eek:

My variant on AnOldUR's was to take a 3/8" wood dowel, cut a slit in the end and jam a 3/4 X 1 1/2" piece of green scrubby in the slit, mount the dowel in my cordless drill, mount the copper pipe section in my vice. Wrap the tag end of the scubby around the dowel tip, insert carefully in the pipe, and ream away. Worked great, like others say, the burrs aren't too hard to clear. Dowel was easier to find in my shop and easier to slot the end than a metal rod would have been. Green scrubby wasn't as aggressive on the rest of the inside of the tube as sandpaper might be.

Back