ALL GRAIN XP Ale recipe... suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeoitsmatt

Reaction score
MALTS:
12lbs. Crisp Pale Ale
1/2 lbs. Biscuit
1/2 lbs Caramel Malts 80L

HOPS: (pellets/Alpha)
1oz. Apollo (16%)
1oz. Warrior (16.7%)
1oz. Simcoe (Whole Leaf, 14.1%)
2oz. Simcoe (12.2%)
2oz. Sorachi Ace (14.9%)

:::::Mash:::::
strike~ 175 'F
154~150 'F (cooler mash tun...w/ blankets!) [60mn]
sparge... 185 'F [30mn]
::::::::::::::::::::::::::

:::Boil:::
60mn --- 1oz. Apollo
15mn --- .5 oz. Sorachi Ace
10mn --- .5 oz. Simcoe (pellets)
0mn/ flameout ---- 1oz.~~ (.5oz)Sorachi Ace/ (.5oz)Simcoe

:::YEAST:::
Dry Yeast : Safale US-05 American Ale
(first time using dry yeast, as well..)

::: OG: 1.062:::
::: FG: TBD ::::

:::::::FERMENTATION TIME:::::
14 Days

:::::: I am anticipating to DryHop after 7days (1oz. WholeLeaf Simcoe/ 1oz. Warrior) {muslin bag}......... 3 days later..... (1oz. Sorachi Ace / 1oz. Simcoe plts) {muslin bag}.......................

Please tell me how long you think it deserves( in primary, 2ndry...), and what you would do with said Hops...

let me know what you think... i want LIGHT, CRISP, and HOPPY!!! tear it down or build it up..

Remove the Biscuit and Lower the Crystal to 40L. Hoppy is an ambiguous term, do you want bitterness? or more hop flavor(spicey, citrus, or lemon)? or aroma?

I would scale back the Apollo addition to ether .5oz or .75oz and I would first wort hop this addition to. Toss it in during your first runnings from the mash. Right now the Apollo addition is about 80 ibus. Then I would use the three ounces of the simcoe from 20 minutes down to 5 minutes. And dry hop with the two ounces of sorachi ace. I think that will be a nice beer you're looking for.

Maybe sub some vienna malt for a few pounds of the 2-row. A little more color and a different malt flavor contribution.

awesome thanks for the tip! i'll let you know how it turns out. I will def try hopping the wort next time... but do i hop the wort for the full mash?? as in the full 60 min before collecting my first runnings?

Sorry that wasn't very clear, I didn't mean to hop the wort as you won't get much out of doing so. First Wort Hopping is the technique I was suggesting, it is where you collect the first running from the mash tun into the boil kettle. The hops are added to the boil kettle as the mash is lautering into the boil kettle. Hopefully that clears things up, it imparts a smoother bittering addition.

just tasted a little bit of this when i took a gravity today.... its real bitter, but not in a bad way. its also way to young yet to get a good idea of what its going to be like after i dry hop this *****... this should make a fantastic xtra pale ale!

This actually turned out great! The Sorachi Ace added a nice sweetness during the dry hopping... i cold crashed it for the last 2 days of dry hopping... not a lot of yeast in the bottles either. An amazing XP ale!! Great Job me, you're the man!

Latest posts

Back