how to get a big, thick head on a Russian Imperial Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kershner_Ale

Reaction score
Myself and a couple others are tossing ideas back and forth to formulate a Russian Imperial Stout. One of the traits of the beer I'd like to see is for it to pour a big, thick head, and one that lasts. So I was wondering, is the choice of malt that's more important, such as adding Cara-pils, or the technique, a step mash perhaps? Or both ingredients and technique? Just wondering what has worked for you. Also, we planned on adding oak chips to the secondary for a few days. Would the oak impart any oils / characteristics that would inhibit head formation?

Thanks,

Jeff

Nothing works as well as beer gas and a stout faucet, but I've had some success with using champagne yeast to carbonate.

Wheat and/or carapils will work. Mashing on the high end will give you maltiness and chewiness. I don't know that it improves head.

Carapils would help, as would some flaked barley.

One of the issues with RIS is that as a style it normally has a low carbonation level. My last one was only about 1.7 or so volumes CO2 (style is 1.5-2.3). So when pouring, letting it warm up first and pouring aggressively will help it build the head in the first place. The ingredients you use will help the retention.

Kershner? Not related...

Anyway, all of the ingredients above will help you hold onto the head, but creating it in the first place is going to be your struggle.

Beer gas as david mentioned is going to be easiest. It will allow you to pour at high pressure without overcarbing the beer.

Overcarbing is another option, but would obviously change the beer some.

Creamer faucet might help, or pouring from a great distance or with a half open non-perlick tap. Keeping the beer cold and warming the lines to serving temp could also help.

All in all, if you really want a nicely poured stout, get some beer gas/nitrogen.

Oh, and oak cubes wont do anything to the head.

Back