What is proper way to dry hop?...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

telebrewer

Reaction score
I'm on to dry hopping now the first time. The last brew, I dropped an oz. of hop pellets in after fermentation and they never really settled out.

What is the common method of dry hopping in a 6.5 gal. glass fermenter?

that's all I've done...some people put them in sanitized mesh bags, or SS tea balls, but I just throw 'em in

I'm on to dry hopping now the first time. The last brew, I dropped an oz. of hop pellets in after fermentation and they never really settled out.

The first time that I dry hopped the same thing happened to me. The second time I placed the dry hops into the secondary and racked on top. Result was much better.

Delpo

The first time that I dry hopped the same thing happened to me. The second time I placed the dry hops into the secondary and racked on top. Result was much better.

Delpo

+1, Rack on top of them, then after a day gently swirl carboy and what little was floating settled to the bottom.

I advise using whole hops to dry hop, if you can get them. In the first place, I find they give superior flavor & aroma. In the second, there are far fewer floaty bits to give you fits.

Also, I find putting the dry hops in a weighted bag is a good idea. It will carry the bag to the bottom of the vessel and keep it there until you shake it loose during cleaning. Some stainless steel nuts or bolts will do the trick.

There's also Northern Brewer item # 40115 - the Brew Infuser. Yeah, it's expensive, but it's a purpose-built item, unlike a nylon bag and steel nuts from Home Depot. :D

Have fun!

Bob

You can also steep the whole hops in water about 190F to release some of the bitterness and aroma. Then, add the "hop juice" and the hops to the bottom of the empty second fermenter and rack on top of that. I find that it's more effective than cold hops and cold beer.

I've had good success with both whole hop leaves in either a grain sock or a stainless sleeve - holds about an ounce... So far, I get great aroma after about a week in the secondary, either bottled or kegged.

I've heard of wine guys putting their fruit in ladies stockings. I can't see why it wouldn't work for pellets either. It would be a finer mesh nylon.

I just chuck them in, and then rack later. Unless I'm dryhopping in the keg- in the keg, I used a sanitized bag or stainless ball. But in the carboy, I just throw them right in there.

Latest posts

Back