left over ingredients i could use some ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yaksin

Reaction score
First off I would like to say hi and being on the forum for a little bit and just getting into brewing, this forum has certainly been extremely helpful.

Now back to the question. I have a variety of left over specialty grains and some left over hops I would like to use in my next two batches so none get wasted. Here is the list;

9 oz crystal 120L
7 oz black malt 650L
3.5 oz roasted barely
12 oz special B 150L
8 oz flaked oats
4 oz flaked wheat
1.8 oz columbus
.7 oz cascade
1.5 oz mt.hood

Since im due for another IPA (supplies running low) i would like to do another. Also I am bottling a blue moon clone today so another simliar one is a possibility and my breakfast stout still has 3 weeks in the secondary so I am open to any suggestions. BTW I have room for 2 batches right now and I will be doing all grain.

Thank you,
Jake

Far cry from an IPA, but you can aim for a Russian Imperial Stout.

Get 2 pounds of pale chocolate or chocolate malt, add 4-6 oz of your special B, all the rest of your specialty grains, and enough 2-row or pale ale malt to get you up to 1.080 - 1.100 (about 15 pounds)

Hops:
0.8 ounces Columbus at 60 minutes (assuming around 14-17%AA)
0.75oz Mount Hood + 1oz Goldings at 15 minutes
0.75oz Mount Hood + 1 oz Goldings at 1 minute

That uses up everything except the Cascade and a little bit of Special B.

That's a big beer which will require a big yeast starter. If you haven't done starters yet, pitch 2 packets of rehydrated dry yeast. A cleaner Cal Ale (US-05) or a British one (S-04) will work. Pitch in the low 60s. Not sure if you have temp control or not, but ideally just let it rise up to 70 max. However, if it stays below there the first 2 days of activity you should be fine without hot alcohol affects later.

That's my stab at it.

Thats sounds good but I have a breakfast stout in a secondary right now and wouldn't mind doing two different batches from the left overs.

You could do kind of a Winter Ale with the Crystal, some Spec B and the Columbus/Cascade. A Porter with the rest of the ingredients.

just to add i also have a pound of belgian candy i made seems to be light to amber in color and about 4 oz of cocoa nibs.

Back