dry hopping in the primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsuarez

Reaction score
Hi guys!

New here, but have been brewing for about a year now. I am about to brew my fourth all-grain batch. My first all grain was an ipa that was bittered nicely but didn't really have that much hop aroma or flavor. more like a pale ale.

anywho, I am interested in dry hopping, but don't own a secondary fermentor. Can I add hops to the primary fermentor after the bubbling stops and get the same effect as dry hopping in the secondary?

Sure! I'd wait to make sure fermentation was completely finished, since you don't want the co2 to take out those nice hoppy aromas. But there is no reason you can't add the hops in the fermenter after it's finshed up.

the reason people generally don't Dry Hop in the Primary is because a lot of the Hop Aroma is carried off by the Gas during fermentation. But if you are going to wait a Couple of weeks until Most of the fermentation is complaet, and Dry Hop for a Week to 10 days, I don't see an issue. Hop On!!!:mug:

Yeah! Exactly what those guys said. I'd give it ten days or two weeks, and then add the hops.

Are you going to use a hop-bag, or drop them in loose? I've done both, and it's hard to say which is better - loose gets you slightly better utilization, but you lose more beer when racking. Next time I'm going to try a very very large hop-bag, to try to get the best of both worlds.

Back