browned hops (disease, pests, water?) are they usable?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rpm2nite

Reaction score
I believe I have downy mildew issues which I have battled all season, I've been cutting the infected looking shoots off and spraying copper a few times but the yard seems to have been pretty well devastated over the last few weeks.

I am not sure if the browing is due to downy, water or pests, I noticed
a good population of spider/mites and some very tiny thing long creatures
that seem almost like a worm but crawl, probably no larger than a piece
of pencil lead.

Anyways I am growing about 30 plants (mostly 2nd year) and we had rainy
weather a few straight days about 2 weeks ago and I started noticing the browing afterward which worsened and seemed to spread through all my hops (it's tough seeing exactly what is happening 18-20 feet up even on a ladder).

I imagine 70% or more of the hops have varying degrees of brown but the ones I touch don't seem dry enough to indicate that the browing came from being over ripe.

Regradless, I harvested a 5 gallon pail worth and seperated into "prime" and
browned hops and have been drying them. I probably have an additional
3 or more pails worth ready for picking.

Any ideas on what may have caused this and if these brown hops are still usable?

Hopefully next year I know what to expect and can get a better crop.

The picks of the single cones and leaf are centennial, the harvested picks
for drying are all chinook.

Thanks,
Rich

image.jpeg

image (2).jpeg

image (3).jpeg

Man i hope you have better luck next year. I cant say anything on if you can use the brown hops but i can help u with the mildew. Is this spot getting full sunlight? Is there any way to increase sunlight? How do you have them trellised? Is there not a lot of airflow? Splitting your hops in a V trelis may help with this issue.

Copper spray i use on my fruit trees in dormant season, i know you should only use it sparingly when in active growth as it hinders growth and hurts the plant. Maybe next year use a chemical fungal spray or neem oil. Just back off on the neem oil once you start forming cones. A "fruit tree spray" should work, they even make ones that hook to a garden hose for application. Also try rotating between differnt chemicals on a weekly schedule.

Back