what ruins strip thermometers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

html034

Reaction score
If you have a strip thermometer stuck on a glass jug, can submerging the jug in a star san solution, or pouring 200 degree water into the jug, cause the thermometer to no longer work?

html034 said:
If you have a strip thermometer stuck on a glass jug, can submerging the jug in a star san solution, or pouring 200 degree water into the jug, cause the thermometer to no longer work?

Taking it out of the packaging and attempting to put it on anything is likely the immediate downfall of that device. They're neat to look at, but about as useful to brewing as a slotted spoon is to eating soup.

FYI---I wouldn't be pouring 200ºf water into a glass carboy either way. You ever turned one of those babies upside down and read what it says on the bottom? Allow me to enlighten yous:

DO NOT BUMP OR HEAT.

I would heed their warning if I were you.
not-tagged-smiley-10558.gif

jezter6 said:
Taking it out of the packaging and attempting to put it on anything is likely the immediate downfall of that device. They're neat to look at, but about as useful to brewing as a slotted spoon is to eating soup.

WTF are you doing to your thermo's, jezter? I've used them all over the place and have only had one of them fail, and that was only because I attached it too low on the carboy. Otherwise, no problems.

Some times they will start working again when they cool off and/or dry out. The capsules may not have ruptured, even though the strip was outside its normal operating limits.

to reiterate...do NOT pour 200F water in the carboy. that's a great way to shatter the glass with temperature shock.

I've put clear packing tape over all of my strip thermometers. It makes me feel like I have an extra layer of protection. I haven't had one break yet. I've read that extreme heat, too much water contact, and long term direct sunlight will damage these.

-BB

I ruined the strip thermometer on my primary vessel the first time I used a swamp cooler. The thermometer still works, but the cells that were near the water line turned greyish and don't color all the way anymore.

I've put clear packing tape over all of my strip thermometers. It makes me feel like I have an extra layer of protection. I haven't had one break yet. I've read that extreme heat, too much water contact, and long term direct sunlight will damage these.

I've considered this, but not sure if it would provide an adequate seal during long periods of submersion in a swamp cooler. BB, have you done this and can you confirm? Anyone else?

Shawnbou, I don't submerge mine in water so I don't know the effectiveness of the tape in water. I have been thinking about using the water bath method to keep temps down this summer if it gets hot, but I usually just used a wet t-shirt. I had no trouble with constant contact between the soaked shirt and the taped strips. I would think that the tape would provide a good seal, although I know that I get air bubbles when I apply the tape if I just throw it on. I would think that small creases from these bubbles would allow water in if it were soaking in water.
-BB

I buy mine @ wallyworld in the pet dept. The ones for aquariums for 2.00 they show both C and F so I really dont worry about trashing one. I have 2 spares on hand just in case.

I bought some new ones that were of a different type than others I had sucess with. When I used it for the first time I thought it was broken since I wasn't getting a reading...turned out my wort was > 80F! :eek:

Whoops.

The first time I tried the fermenter in a water bath idea mine turned all gray, but then started working again after awhile of being dry. It seems like the color came back kind of slowly any maybe isn't quite as bright but it still works.

I thought I ruined the strip on my primary by submerging in swamp cooler. it turned completely grey but after about 2 months (batches) it dried out and it works fine now...

I"ve hard a lot of people complains that they ruined their strip thermometer by soaking it in water.
I found one that is "water proof":
http://www.sunflowersupplies.com/products/STRIP-THERMOMETER-CARBOY-FERMENTER-HOMEBREW-BEER-NEW.html

Since I am preparing to buy one, does anyone have this one, and is it really water proof?

I've used both this one and the horizontal ones. This style I don't like because the color isn't strong - hard to see against the black on mine. It could be that they are old and since I got them used, that could also be part of the problem. but the new ones at the LHBS don't seem much better >shrugg<

Overall these type of contact thermometers may not be the most accurate (haven't seen anything on that) but if it is only off +/-1deg F(or even 1deg C) that helps me stay in range for HomeBrew. And I can tell (by using 2 one on my Fermentor, one on the shelf) to see how the vessel is doing - if it is + vs the room, then I'm fermenting (or something exothermic) if I'm the same, then it is probably done fermenting

-BB

+1 on the tape... doing it.

Back