where to get glycerin?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miatawnt2b

Reaction score
Should my homebrew supplier carry glycerin for reusing yeast, or is there a better/cheaper place where I may be able to find it locally?

Thanks!
-J

I got some at my grocery store pharmacy (much lower cost than the smaller bottle at my LHBS)....though, I hit several other places that did not carry it. Call 'round before heading out.

I have found it at places that specialize in wine-making. I know nothing about wine or wine-making, but the shop clerk seemed to think it was something commonly used.

I have also found it at most pharmacies -- but often had to ask for it because it was hard to find on the shelf. Just be sure to get the type that is ingestible.

FlyGuy said:
Just be sure to get the type that is ingestible.

Please do your own research, but I have googled glycerin for days and can find no indication that a non-ingestible glycerin exists. Obviously "Glycerin with 10% arsenic" would be such a compound, but by itself I have seen nothing sold but 99% pure glycerin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycerol

Yeah, I don't know. I never got that information off the internet.

The pharmacist asked me what it was for, and when I told her, she said I had better get the ingestible one. She even read the label for me to be sure. I got the impression that some of it in pharmacies is sold for topical treatment only (i.e., not food grade).

Glycerin is a waste product of many manufacturing processes, including biodiesel. So, the only difference between topical and food-grade is the intent of the manufacturer. Much like "food-grade" CO2 and welding CO2.

I also found a reference to a pharmacy product called iodinated glycerine, which may have been the concern of my pharmacist. Don't know -- sorry.

OldFarmer said:
get grip, i live in the middle of the netherlands and i go into the local pharm and buy glycerin........ wtf........:confused:

Sounds like someone needs to RDWHAHB.... :(

Since we all don't live near your pharmacy, or even on the same continent, perhaps it would be wise to read the label or ask the pharmacist (i.e. do some research) before assuming that I'm right about all glycerin being the same and blindly pouring it in your beer.

Good thing you did some research before grabbing that at the pharmacy and dumping it into your yeast!

Iodine is (i.e. iodophor) is an great antiseptic/antibacterial. I suspect that iodinated glycerin might not be a good choice for preserving yeast cultures.

FlyGuy said:
I also found a reference to a pharmacy product called iodinated glycerine

Iodinated Glycerine - SIDE EFFECTS: Nausea, stomach upset, may occur the first several days as your body adjusts to the medication. If these effects continue or become bothersome, inform your doctor. Notify your doctor if you develop: severe stomach pain, sore mouth or throat, muscle aches, rash, fever, vomiting, loss of appetite, tiredness, weakness, sneezing, tingling of the hands or feet, headache, metallic taste in the mouth.

pldoolittle said:
Sounds like someone needs to RDWHAHB.... :(

Since we all don't live near your pharmacy, or even on the same continent, perhaps it would be wise to read the label or ask the pharmacist (i.e. do some research) before assuming that I'm right about all glycerin being the same and blindly pouring it in your beer.

If you did live by my pharmacy then you could get this without having to use the net...... http://www.steviasmart.com/glfoga4obo.html

cheers.....

miatawnt2b said:
Should my homebrew supplier carry glycerin for reusing yeast, or is there a better/cheaper place where I may be able to find it locally?

Thanks!
-J
here is a supplier, all sizes....... almost any pharmacy or health food store will have this stuff :)http://www23.netrition.com/now_glycerine_page.html
cheers......

pldoolittle said:
Please do your own research, but I have googled glycerin for days and can find no indication that a non-ingestible glycerin exists. Obviously "Glycerin with 10% arsenic" would be such a compound, but by itself I have seen nothing sold but 99% pure glycerin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycerol

Well, now you know it does exist, and a bunch of folks on here use it. Too bad it's to high for you though.
Bye.......

OldFarmer said:
Well, now you know it does exist, and a bunch of folks on here use it.

Ohhh... Now I understand your rude "wtf" and "get grip"comments earlier. Either you mis-read or you didn't understand my post. I never said edible glycerin didn't exist. Quite to the contrary, what I said was; "I can find no indication that a non-ingestible glycerin exists".

OldFarmer said:
Too bad it's to high for you though

I never said that $1.00/oz was too high for me. I said that "careful shopping can get you $0.30/oz" If you would rather spend your money on glycerin, please feel free to do so. Personally, I would rather spend my $$ on malt...

I picked some up at my LHBS, but he also sells wine supplies and it was in the wine section. I just assumed it was something to add to wine and bought some. Can't imagine what else it would be for.

Latest posts

Back