Has anyone used the High Gravity Brewing Elements and EBC?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wedge421

Reaction score
Has anyone used the heating elements and EBC power setup up from high gravity brewing? Im trying to find out if the elements come with a box for the outside or not. And how does the EBC work? This setup looks a lot more user friendly for a novice then building a Kal monster! Any input?

http://www.highgravitybrew.com/productcart/pc/Heating-Element-4500-Watt-SS-306p2514.htm

Now sure what you mean by "box for the outside"?

That looks like a standard water heater element that has a cord attached to it. They don't mention that it comes with the 1" NPS locknut to attach it to the kettle, but they do mention that it needs a 1.25" hole cut in the kettle.

For $60, it better come with the locknut. A DIY version of that thing would cost under $40 (with the lock nut) or $30 without the nut.

They built my whole setup for me. It certainly isn't an impressive control box(the little grey box mounted to the wall at the left) but it works great. All temps within 1 degree, a small learning curve, but I love it. By far the cheapest way to go electric without having to build it yourself. I just saw that Kal is selling his control panel now, damn that would look good on my wall, of course it costs as much as my entire setup, but if I had the money.

DSCN3288.jpg

This is the panel I bought. The boil control is a necessity. My bk has a 4500 watt element and I run it less than half on for 6 gallon batches, it's still a good rolling boil.
http://www.highgravitybrew.com/prod...nite-Power-Control-w-4-wire-plug-276p3302.htm

-

Does anyone know where I can source the guts of their boil controller? I assume it's some kind of PWM unit/SSR, but I'm not sure if that knob on their "Infinite Power Control" is part of an off the shelf unit that I could incorporate into my control panel.

Latest posts

Back