Noob Question about boil size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigcountrybrew

Reaction score
I have a recipe that calls for a boil size of 3 gallons. Does this mean I start with 3 gallons of water or my water + DME should = 3 gallons? If it is water + DME, how do I figure that out? Also when adding hops at flameout, for aroma, is there a time I should wait before straining into the primary?
Thanks for all the help!

I am starting to really enjoy the "geeky" part of this hobby:mug:

I'm a noob too, and using your example, I have been using the 3 gal of water method. My brews have turned out good as far as I can tell. Never thought of it the other way but I guess that could be a valid question. Can't help you w/ the other question but I look forward to the answer.

Just start with 3 gallons of H20 and don't worry anymore about it....

As for adding the aroma hops, you'll get what you need out of 'em during cooling... don't wait any more than you have to in order to cool and transfer.

Yeah, don't worry. Boil the maximum amount of water you can given the pot size, but understand that the extract takes up a lot more space than you think. Boil overs are no fun.

Back