Fining agents or bulk aging to clear?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtrent2002

Reaction score
Just finished an Australian Cab Sav premium wine kit and it already taste really good after the secondary. I've stabilized and racked to tertiary but have a question. Should I use the fining agents that came with the kit (chitosan and kieselsol) or allow it to clear over time with bulk aging? I was wondering if the tiny particles suspended in the wine add to the final flavor profile if allowed to settle on its own and clear naturally. I am willing to be patient with this one and age/clear naturally if it means I'll end up with a better product.

There is no difference if "the tiny particles suspended in the wine" fall out due to gravity or by something clumping them together and making them more massive so that they fall faster.

A large amount of those tiny particles are dead yeast cells that only impart bad tastes.

The benefits of longer sitting times are worth the wait, though. I do both, use finings and let it sit.

I think its a good question, does the use of fining agents affect the wine quality? I'm thinking the fining agents are ok to to use, but the other side of me says when you have a choice to intervene or leave it alone, I prefer to not intervene.

Just depends how patient you are!

Do you want it in a month? Or a year?

Thanks All. Great feedback. I guess I was trying to understand if there is any value in allowing the micro sediment to fall out naturally and if this adds to the flavor profile for a red. I've used clearing agents before with great results, just thought I would try the natural route with a heavy cab.

Fine as per the kit instructions, wait, rack, wait more, then decide if you want to do anything else.

That's my 2 cents, and it's done well for many kits, even the ones I decide to oak, add acid blend, add glycerine for body, etc.

Back