suck back and likely result?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

befus

Reaction score
Posted about this in another thread, but it just got me to worry more. I had a batch on the yeast about two weeks with a three piece air lock and decided to cold crash as I needed to get it out of the swamp cooler before I usually would and wanted to clear the beer. I reminded myself to replace or top off the vodka in the air lock, but of course I forgot...........sigh. So I look this a.m. and the air lock is sucked bone dry. I topped off with vodka, but too late obviously. The fluid in the air lock could not have contained any alcohol because it would have evaporated long ago. What are my odds of having trouble because of this? Bottling, not kegging btw.

when you create a vacuum, an airlock is useless; vodka or otherwise. you're pulling in the air you're trying to keep out.

What are my odds of having trouble because of this? Bottling, not kegging btw.

Pretty low, but not impossible. Remember that the beer at this point has alcohol and a lower pH. That makes it less likely to get infected. Not much you could do about it at this point anyway, so why worry? It will probably be fine.

Pretty low, but not impossible. Remember that the beer at this point has alcohol and a lower pH. That makes it less likely to get infected. Not much you could do about it at this point anyway, so why worry? It will probably be fine.
Guess so. Ill bottle and carb/condition for as short a time as possible and get it refrigerated again.

Back