harvested guinness yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wes_1696

Reaction score
I was able to get a good amount of yeast from some guinness extra stout. Well I did the useal but i used corn suger instead of DME and after 5 day it still shows no activey. i also used yeast nurteint. Is there some thing wrong or are they just finshing yeast? I read the artcial about harvesting pacman yeast but still kinda doumb founded about why this isnt working. Thx for any help.

Wes

Do you know what the OG of your starter was? If it was too high, the starter may have a tough time starting...

I suppose it is possible that the bottle you harvest from was in poor conditions that killed the yeast?

Im not sure exactly but it was a 12 packs worth of yeast. If you were to sharpen a pencil lead it was about that size of yeast on the bottom side of the bottle.

His point was that that was sludge, not necessarily yeast. Since Guinness isn't bottle conditioned, all of the yeast is filtered out. Hence there's none to harvest.

You need to first do some research and see if the beer is bottle conditioned first, and then see if it is the same yeast as they use for fermentation. Only then can you harvest....

Of course, if the beer that you did try is bottle conditioned, then just try again. You typically only have a 50% or so chance at making it work...

Back