Blue moon style

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

new2brew1221

Reaction score
I went to the lhbs this morning and got an American wheat kit with Briess golden light DME and Wyeast 3944 Belgian Wit . My plan is to use half the Briess DME and half the wheat DME in the kit, adding some coriander and orange zest after boil for a few minutes. Has anyone used this combination to make a blue moon style?

If you've got a fair amount of wheat, a Belgian Witbier yeast, coriander and some form of orange flavoring you'll end up with a Witbier, and chances are, you'll like it more than Blue Moon. And good call on the orange zest. Much better than dried orange peel IMHO. Especially if it's freshly zested during the boil. I just kegged a Wit today with 1 oz of orange zest, .3 oz ground coriander, and .1 oz of fresh grated ginger. Probably the best one I've brewed so far.

I left it loose, I just use a colander after cooling to strain the majority of the pieces. I ground the coriander to a dust this time around though, and that led to my siphon getting stuck constantly when I started getting towards the end of racking it to the keg. So, if you just crush the coriander, you should be fine. If you grind it though, I'd definitely find a way to keep as much as possible from getting into your fermenter, or you could just wait a while in the fermenter for everything to settle out and compact a little. I like my wits fresh, so next time I'm probably going to use a bag in the boil next time for the coriander.

The way I was planning on doing it, was to add the orange zest and crushed corriander in a bag while it was in the ice bath, until I siphoned it to fermenter.

If you're looking to replicate blue moon so you can be neck deep in women then I recommend a california ale yeast instead of the belgian wit.

I second truebe's yeast recommendation (US-05 or WY1056). I'd suggest adding the coriander with 10-15 minutes left in the boil, and adding the orange zest along with the 1/2 cup of vodka that it has been soaking in overnight to the wort when you pitch the yeast.

Back