Volume displacement equivalents of DME/LME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Naked_Eskimo

Reaction score
Is there a simple calculation or "rule of thumb" to help figure out how much volume a given amount of DME or LME will take up in a kettle?

For instance, (arbitrarily) I have a recipe that requires 3lbs DME and 4lbs LME. I want to do a full-boil with beginning volume of 6 gallons which will reduce to 5gallons with 1gal/hr boil-off.

What I dont know is how much water to boil prior to adding the DME and LME? I assume I would need to have less than 6 gallons of water to compensate for the volume of the DME and LME.

I think I read somewhere here that "roughly" 3lbs DME and 4lbs LME is the rough equivalent of 1 quart of water.

If this is true, then I would need to have 5.5 gallons water and the remainder of the volume to 6 gallons will be extract?

Any ideas on whether this equation is correct/close?

DME will increase volume by a few cups. the LME will increase the volume by the volume of the LME (If you have a 1 gallon jug of LME, it will increase the volume by 1 gallon).

a quart of water is not 1/2 gallon, it is 1/4 gallon.

honestly, just boil 6 gallons minus the LME volume, make your additions, and then start your 1 hour timer when it boils back down to 6 gallons.... extra boiling is not a problem, and I don;t think that the extra volume of the DME will even be noticeable by the time it gets up to a boil.

This is one of those aspects of brewing where the idea "Relax, don't worry..." comes into play.

Some things are worth splitting hairs over. This is not one of them.

Back