Super High Gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmk1012

Reaction score
I got a little abitious today and berewed two batches in my new keggle. After building a 50' imersion cooler I brewed a Cervesa and a Hefeweisen. The Cervesa came out on par but, the Hefe came out at 1.070 for the OG. Is that too high? The brew shop helped me a little with the recipe but I'm concerned that it may bee too heavy. I used 7lbs lme (wheat), and 1lb of corn sugar with 5.5 gallons (full boil) with a pack of 1007 German Hefe yeast. Am I being a little too concerned or will it be ok? P.S. Saaz hops at the normal schedules.

i wouldn't necessarily be concerned, did you start the boil with 5.5 gallons? if so, you probably ended up with 4-4.5 gallons of more concentrated wort. it'll just end up much higher in alcohol.

was it a german hefe yeast (3056) or german ale yeast (1007)?

After looking at the package, it is the Wyeast German Ale 1007 Smack Pack. The guy at the brew shop said it would give me lots of suspended (cloudy) yeast at drinking time. I started with 5.5 gallons and ended up with 4.5 after the boil. Out of concern I added a half gallon of distilled water(after the 1.070 reading). Was that a mistake?

As a side note-it turned out so high in the OG that I named it "Arnold Hefeweisen"-I thought it was funny, maybe a little corny but, still funny.

High OG just means more alcohol, especially with all that corn sugar. If you were looking for something light and refreshing for the upcoming Summer, a 8-9% alcohol wheat beer might not be what you ordered. If you have room in your fermenter, you could add more water. If it was 1.070 at 4.5 gal., it would be 1.057 at 5.5 gal. That would make something more in line with the style. Further, I doubt the hops you added are enough for a 1.070 OG brew, so adding water would help balance it out.

Distilled water is probably not optimal. Poland Spring is good for darker beers and Deer Park is good for lighter beers. I've used them straight from the bottle without boiling (which would de-oxidize them anyway).

Back