Storing my beer in the garage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillyDee

Reaction score
I bottled and placed my beer in the garage. I was afraid that it might explode in the house and that is the reason for using the garage.

My garage is cool and I am hoping that the carbonation period will be somewhat longer which is no big problem.

Should I place it in the house or how long should I leave it before I try drinking it?

Hey Billy Dee. You should probably wait at least 3 weeks before you start drinking your beer. You can try a bottle after two weeks and see how you like it, but three weeks is typically the standard.

As for the garage, it should be fine, provided that the temperature stays stable in there. What temperature is it? I know you said it was cool, but is it in the mid 60's? If so, that should be fine. Also, you'll want to keep it out of the light. Long exposure to the light can skunk your beer.

What did you brew, by the way?

garage temps fluctuate too much, imho. try keeping them in a cool, dark place, preferably a closet or basement (if you have one). If you must keep them in the garage, make sure they are covered and away from any windows.

like the other poster said, wait at least 3 weeks to drink but you can test it every week to check on the carbonation. if you think it is getting too carbonated, get it to a colder place and keep it there, like a spare fridge.

The best advice I can give you right now is this:

If your beer fermented out at 75% and you did not overprime you will not get bottle grenades. :D

Check your yeasts attenuation range. Most fall within the 75% range that's why I use it.

75% would be equal to dividing your OG by 4 for the projected FG.

Example: OG: 1.050 (50 / 4 = 12.5) Your FG goal is in the 12-13 range.

TIP: Whenever I'm writing my brew notes I automatically write down the projected FG like this: OG: 1.050 (12)

By adding the projected FG after the OG all I have to do is compare my gravity reading to see if the brew's done fermenting. :D

Also, if you garage is cooler than 70F it will take longer for your beer to condition (produce natural carbonation). :mug:

my garage temperature fluctuates a lot. when i park the car in the garage, the heat from the car engine cranks up the garage temperature, sometimes close to 100 degrees. then at night when things cool off it might get into the 60s or so. That is a wide flucuation for your beer. find a stable, dark, cool place and put it in there.

my garage is the same but seems to maintain 60's. I plan on keeping mine in boxes covered for 3 weeks...then fridge then drink....MAN i have no patience lol

make shure you get a finished hydro reading that doesnt drop between 3 days before botteling, and get a estimated finish gravity on a brew calculator.You do have a hydrometer? This is the only real security you have for peace of mind otherwise stick them in a rubbermaid in the back of a closet that stays around 70 degrees. 3 weeks primary makes me feel alot better then i know its done for shure.Botteling early isnt worth the fear and the green beer.
Another thing you can do is check a bottle in a few weeks stick 1 in fridge for 2 days and see how carbonated it is and how ittastes then after week 3 if they start to becom overcarbed then stick them in the fridge to halt carbonation.

Latest posts

Back