briefly opening a half full keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maylar

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a small keg of cider that's cold and carbed where I want it. I want to add some malic acid to improve the taste. Turn off the gas, bleed pressure, pop the lid, add the acid (dissolved in cider), close the lid...

How thorough do I need to be in purging the keg afterward? Will one or two purges at serving pressure be enough, or do I need to do the whole 8 purges at 25 psi thing again?

I think this just depends on your comfort level. I have had to open a few kegs for various reasons in the time I have been brewing. I can't say I have ever done 8 whole purges at 25PSI. Honestly I just do one quick purge and I have never had an issue.... honestly once or twice I didn't even purge and the beer still didn't oxidize.

But I tend to think beer is a lot more forgiving than some of the members on this forum.

Completely disagree with the above posters.

First, the "8 purges at 25psi thing" is for a completely full keg. If your keg is half empty, you'll need many more purges than that, likely 20+.

Now is it that serious? Probably not. But I would definitely do it at least 10 times. If you plan on this beer being around a while before it kicks (longer than a couple of weeks), I'd highly recommend 20 or more times. Losing a keg, even a half keg, to oxidation is no fun.

.... honestly once or twice I didn't even purge and the beer still didn't oxidize.

This is a false statement. I can guarantee that your beer oxidized on some level if you opened it and didn't purge afterwards. What you really should have said is that you didn't taste it, not that it didn't happen. We all have different tolerances and taste thresholds. It may be that you don't detect (or maybe even prefer) oxidized beer, or that it wasn't enough to detect. But oxygen made it to your beer, you can bet on that.

@magicmatt is wrong. hes failing to consider that in order to achieve 25 PSI in a half full keg requires more CO2 (Mass or moles take your pick) then a completely full keg. If anything you'll need less purging cycles to reduce the concentration of O2 in the headspace. The 8 times at 30 PSI (there's an awesome post out there somewhere) is considering the headspace is 21% oxygen (air). And the amount of moles required to raise the pressure in the head space to 30 PSI dilutes the oxygen to whatever percent. This is assumed to be well mixed so now when the keg is purged you have considerably less residual oxygen. Do this several times and you've reduced the O2 content to almost nothing.

Opening and then closing the keg quickly will not result in the headspace to come back to 21% oxygen. And the number of moles required to increase the pressure to 30 PSI is directly proportional to the volume of the headspace (PV=nRT). So if pressure and temperature are equal V1/n1 = V2/n2. You are required to put in more CO2 to achieve the same pressure. So the 8 purges at 30PSI still holds if the headspace was 21% oxygen which it won't be since diffusion is a slow process and as long as you're not blowing a fan into it convective transfer should be minimal. There is no way to know exactly how many purges you should do but if you wanted to do a couple you'd probably be fine and if you don't mind wasting CO2 do it the full 8 times or so.

@magicmatt is wrong. hes failing to consider that in order to achieve 25 PSI in a half full keg requires more CO2 (Mass or moles take your pick) then a completely full keg. If anything you'll need less purging cycles to reduce the concentration of O2 in the headspace.

Um I'll just leave this here........note this is showing percent of O2 remaining, not mass. More head space = more purges needed to get to lower levels of O2.

That will do a pretty good job of getting the O2 level down. It's not because of diffusion however. The reduction in O2 (and N2) is strictly due to dilution. The purge pressure affects how many purge cycles you need to get to a particular O2 level. The table and chart below shows how pressure and number of cycles affects the O2 levels. The values are percent of original remaining, not mass of remaining. The mass remaining depends on the headspace volume.

View attachment 323772

View attachment 323773

Brew on :mug:

Opening and then closing the keg quickly will not result in the headspace to come back to 21% oxygen. And the number of moles required to increase the pressure to 30 PSI is directly proportional to the volume of the headspace (PV=nRT). So if pressure and temperature are equal V1/n1 = V2/n2. You are required to put in more CO2 to achieve the same pressure. So the 8 purges at 30PSI still holds if the headspace was 21% oxygen which it won't be since diffusion is a slow process and as long as you're not blowing a fan into it convective transfer should be minimal.

True, it won't reach 21%, but it's not crazy to consider that 1/5th of the head space will be replaced by atmospheric air if you open the keg lid for 60 seconds. Unless you're in a draft-free room with practically no air movement. Just your breathing will be enough though. Regardless, even if 20% did get replaced with air (of which 20% is oxygen), that still leaves 5% of your headspace as oxygen. Please tell me how you think a 2.5gallon head space will be able to purge out all 5% of the oxygen in just a couple of purges?

There is no way to know exactly how many purges you should do but if you wanted to do a couple you'd probably be fine and if you don't mind wasting CO2 do it the full 8 times or so.

It's not "wasting CO2", it's "preserving beer". Beer that I took time and energy to make. I don't know about you, but I don't drink CO2, so I don't really care how much I have (or don't have) left. I do drink beer though, and oxidized beer is of no use to me. I'd rather use ("waste") the $0.25 in CO2 to preserve my $15 in beer.

I bet you're one of those people who doesn't want to "waste" the $2 on the parking meter, only to return to a $50 ticket. A little precaution goes a long way. To cite the obvious, "better safe than sorry".

First, the "8 purges at 25psi thing" is for a completely full keg. If your keg is half empty, you'll need many more purges than that, likely 20+.

Now is it that serious? Probably not. But I would definitely do it at least 10 times. If you plan on this beer being around a while before it kicks (longer than a couple of weeks), I'd highly recommend 20 or more times. Losing a keg, even a half keg, to oxidation is no fun.

This is a false statement. I can guarantee that your beer oxidized on some level if you opened it and didn't purge afterwards. What you really should have said is that you didn't taste it, not that it didn't happen. We all have different tolerances and taste thresholds. It may be that you don't detect (or maybe even prefer) oxidized beer, or that it wasn't enough to detect. But oxygen made it to your beer, you can bet on that.

Bro. If a beer is oxidized and you can't taste a difference is it really oxidized?

On a different note. I stupidly put my keg posts on backwards so it was super hard for me to attach my gas line.

I had to open the keg, and stick my hand in a little bit to get the posts reversed. I'm still going to drink it.

If it starts tasting bad then I'll worry.

This post is way off base. Don't worry, very little O2 will get into the keg if the lid is off for a short period of time. I have no doubt you can easier minimze convection and if you do, then O2 ingress is down to diffusion which is a much slower process.

True, it won't reach 21%, but it's not crazy to consider that 1/5th of the head space will be replaced by atmospheric air if you open the keg lid for 60 seconds. Unless you're in a draft-free room with practically no air movement. Just your breathing will be enough though. Regardless, even if 20% did get replaced with air (of which 20% is oxygen), that still leaves 5% of your headspace as oxygen. Please tell me how you think a 2.5gallon head space will be able to purge out all 5% of the oxygen in just a couple of purges?

Bro. If a beer is oxidized and you can't taste a difference is it really oxidized?

By definition, yes I would say it certainly is.

Don't worry, very little O2 will get into the keg if the lid is off for a short period of time. I have no doubt you can easier minimze convection and if you do, then O2 ingress is down to diffusion which is a much slower process.

Diffusion starts happening instantly in a sealed environment. What makes you think it won't happen more rapidly in your living room or basement? Perhaps to you "very little O2" isn't a concern, but in a place where we're trying to eliminate oxygen completely one would think that a "very little" is still too much.

Anyway, I already stated that it's not likely to warrant a large concern, but that's my opinion, just like it's your opinion. OP asked about oxidation and we shouldn't be shying away from the truth just because you don't "feel" it's important. And the truth is that oxygen will get into the beer and the only way to effectively reduce its presence is by multiple purges. It's not a requirement, and no one is telling you that you'll go to hell if you don't do it.

Will you still have drinkable beer if you open the lid and don't purge? Most likely. Will oxidation be detectable? Maybe. Is it worth the risk to you? Seems like you've already made up your mind on that one. To me, it's not.

But don't take it from me......we can go to the source if you want. @doug293cz, what say you? Care to chime in?

Um I'll just leave this here........note this is showing percent of O2 remaining, not mass. More head space = more purges needed to get to lower levels of O2.

It's not "wasting CO2", it's "preserving beer". Beer that I took time and energy to make. I don't know about you, but I don't drink CO2, so I don't really care how much I have (or don't have) left. I do drink beer though, and oxidized beer is of no use to me. I'd rather use ("waste") the $0.25 in CO2 to preserve my $15 in beer.

I bet you're one of those people who doesn't want to "waste" the $2 on the parking meter, only to return to a $50 ticket. A little precaution goes a long way. To cite the obvious, "better safe than sorry".

First of all, a percent can be converted into a mass not really that big of a deal just a bit of number crunching so point one is again invalid.

Second, I don't think you understand the physics governing the system. I have already gone through the reason why the amount of headspace doesn't matter. All other things equal the number of moles must increase in order to increase the pressure to the same value with a larger volume. But here you go I'll add some numbers. Units are not necessary because again its just a conversion factor. If you have 1 Liter and it requires say 50 moles to increase that pressure to 10 PSI (these numbers aren't real they're for comparison mind you) than it would take you (all other things equal) twice as many moles to increase twice as much volume to the same pressure. 1/50 = 2/100 yes?

Third, where are you getting this 1/5 from? to me it doesn't seem plausible for you to assert that it makes sense that 1/5 of the headspace would be replaced by air. Maybe it will maybe it won't but I've done a lot of these mass transfer scenarios when I was in school and it takes a long time for gasses to move into a small area like the opening of a keg. I have told you how I think a "couple" purges will knock out the O2. You have only spatt some BS numbers.

Lastly, I only say waste because it might mean you have to refill your tank a little sooner. Sorry for using a word you must think offensive. I don't mind much about the cost of C02 either. I purge my kegs 12 times after I've transferred from my carboy (which is a closed transfer mind you) I purge my carboys with co2 if I need to take a sample. CO2 is not the issue.

I don't know where I got the more head space thing from those graphs. And you're the only one talking about moles here. All of my comments and the links I posted referenced percentages. You say that converting from percent to moles is just simple number crunching, but you would definitely have to know the head space volume to do the conversion (which is why I used percent, as it's more universally applicable).

My "numbers" were just SWAGs as I wasn't trying to dig into any textbooks for gas-gas diffusion constants when this isn't in the Brew Science forum and I wasn't trying to over complicate this more than it needed to be. But fine, just to prove my point of how much the air mixes into a keg I dug one up, and this is the equation to calculate the penetration distance of diffusing gases:

D = √(Ct)

where D is the distance diffused (cm), C is the diffusion constant, and t is time (s). The function assumes 1 atmosphere of pressure at room temp in a controlled environment.

For O2 diffusing into CO2, C = 0.16 cm²/s

Plugging it in:

[t=1] → [D=0.4 cm]
[t=60] → [D=3.08 cm]
[t=120] → [D=4.38 cm]

Now extrapolate that into a real world situation. The A/C is on, the dog and kids are running around, you're breathing, the cat gets nosy, whatever....you get the picture. Just removing (and replacing) the lid to the keg itself will push enough air into the keg to warrant a few extra purges. And likely you removed the lid because you want to put something in the keg, which will also pull O2 with it.

Is it tons of oxygen? No, I think we all agree on that. But to say it's not worthy of attention isn't correct. If the OP didn't care about oxidation, he wouldn't be here asking about how to reduce it in this instance. Perhaps you needn't purge any more than you would when kegging the beer initially, but I would say certainly not less either. I still hold that one or two purges will not void the oxygen you let in to less than the acceptable industry threshold.

And as I stated earlier...if the keg is going to be emptied within a week or two, it's highly unlikely the effects of oxidation, if any, would present themselves by the time it's gone.

Otherwise....we go through all this trouble to keep the dreaded O2 out of our beer throughout fermentation, transfers, etc, only to neglect it now, after all of that?

Never said it wasn't worthy of attention. I still only wanted to hinder you from giving out incorrect information. Again sorry if I use something I'm familiar with as in moles. Would you prefer mass? It's no biggy. Moles of gas = PV/RT

grams O2 = moles of gas * percent/100 * 32. These are the simple things. Moles is just a better unit to quantify amounts of things ubiquitously.

4.38cm in 2 minutes. Thanks that's a whole hell of a lot of distance consider the size of a keg. I don't think that will get air to completely displace 1/5 of the headspace.

This is the second time you've gotten all bent out of shape when I say a "few" purges. The information is out there and OP has obviously seen it and is thinking about it. Few is subjective but the hard numbers are out there next time I'll be an arse and stick a BS number like 20+ without knowing what I'm talking about.

Magic Matt the doug293cz graphs that you posted above are in part per million O2, this is a percent unit, volume (ie keg fullness) doesn't matter. ** https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=7461310&postcount=24. Moles are generally the correct quantity measurement when dealing with gas mixtures.

Easiest way to add to the keg is through one of the posts. Even better pull the gas in line, put your addition in the line, vent the keg of pressure and reattach the line so that the CO2 pushes your addition in.

Easiest way to add to the keg is through one of the posts. Even better pull the gas in line, put your addition in the line, vent the keg of pressure and reattach the line so that the CO2 pushes your addition in.

I thought about that, but can't come up with a transfer mechanism that wouldn't add some air. I'm only looking at adding about 1/4 cup of liquid to the keg but that won't fill the gas line.

I also can't think of a way to do NO oxygen, maybe put it in a large syringe and insert through the PRV while allowing the CO2 to continue to come in the in port might be the most O2 limiting you can get.

If you REALLY want to drive yourself crazy.... how much DO is in the liquid malic acid that you are adding :fro:

I also can't think of a way to do NO oxygen, maybe put it in a large syringe and insert through the PRV while allowing the CO2 to continue to come in the in port might be the most O2 limiting you can get.

If you REALLY want to drive yourself crazy.... how much DO is in the liquid malic acid that you are adding :fro:

^ That's what I would do.

Adding small amounts of something doesn't need to be invasive. You could use the out port too, even remove the dip tube. Just have a slow flow of CO2 flushing the system while you work.

When adding dry hop bags to a (mostly) full, 100% pre-purged keg, I stream CO2 through the in-port at a decent flow, remove the lid, slowly drop the squeezed bag and replace with the new lid with a nut welded on the bottom to which the bag is tied. I then purge 5-10 times.

Magic Matt the doug293cz graphs that you posted above are in part per million O2, this is a percent unit.... Moles are generally the correct quantity measurement when dealing with gas mixtures.

Read Doug's comment directly above the graphs again. The graphs I posted show percentages, not ppm. Sure, you could translate this into ppm if you know the diffusion rate and how much O2 has made it into the keg. But the graph SHOWS percentages. The numbers are not in ppm units, they are in percents. You can apply that to whatever unit of measurement you want (mols, ppm, etc). The point is that the chart themselves are not indicating units. The chart tells you what percent (of whatever unit you are measuring with) escapes with each purge.

You say the chart shows ppm, but it doesn't. Even the ppm version of the chart is worthless in this case as there isn't 100% atmospheric air inside the keg. Anyone who took high school chemistry understands what a mole is, no need to explain it to me. My point still stands that in order to know the mols, you have to know the amount of O2 in the keg. And unless you have an organoplatinum target in your keg that you can point an O2 sensor at, I think guesstimating is going to be as good as it gets.

Again sorry if I use something I'm familiar with as in moles. Would you prefer mass? It's no biggy. Moles of gas = PV/RT

grams O2 = moles of gas * percent/100 * 32. These are the simple things. Moles is just a better unit to quantify amounts of things ubiquitously.

Mols are not ubiquitous though, because you need extra information (you even just pointed that out - you need to know the quantity of oxygen). With percentages, you don't need such information. Percentages are way more ubiquitous than mols.

And next time you pop the lid on a keg, watch the CO2 vapor swirling around and out of your keg. You may think the air around you is calm and still but it's not. If you open a container of any type, air will get in. In a completely still environment, air will penetrate over an inch into the keg. Add to that the natural air movement around you, and it's more like 2-3 inches. Putting the lid back in the hole pushes this air further down and sealing the keg locks it inside. It's not rocket science.

I'm tried of spinning in circles around you guys and picking nits. We're all talking about the same thing and y'all insist on using different units and calling it out each time as if that changes anything about the fact that there is oxygen in the keg. If you want to keep debating moles vs ppm vs percents and how any of that matters in preventing air from magically getting into your keg when you open it, it's a free country, go for it and have a blast.

What do you assume the percent remaining is if not mass?

Read Doug's comment directly above the graphs again. The graphs I posted show percentages, not ppm. Sure, you could translate this into ppm if you know the diffusion rate and how much O2 has made it into the keg. But the graph SHOWS percentages. The numbers are not in ppm units, they are in percents. You can apply that to whatever unit of measurement you want (mols, ppm, etc). The point is that the chart themselves are not indicating units. The chart tells you what percent (of whatever unit you are measuring with) escapes with each purge.

You say the chart shows ppm, but it doesn't. Even the ppm version of the chart is worthless in this case as there isn't 100% atmospheric air inside the keg. Anyone who took high school chemistry understands what a mole is, no need to explain it to me. My point still stands that in order to know the mols, you have to know the amount of O2 in the keg. And unless you have an organoplatinum target in your keg that you can point an O2 sensor at, I think guesstimating is going to be as good as it gets.

Mols are not ubiquitous though, because you need extra information (you even just pointed that out - you need to know the quantity of oxygen). With percentages, you don't need such information. Percentages are way more ubiquitous than mols.

And next time you pop the lid on a keg, watch the CO2 vapor swirling around and out of your keg. You may think the air around you is calm and still but it's not. If you open a container of any type, air will get in. In a completely still environment, air will penetrate over an inch into the keg. Add to that the natural air movement around you, and it's more like 2-3 inches. Putting the lid back in the hole pushes this air further down and sealing the keg locks it inside. It's not rocket science.

I'm tried of spinning in circles around you guys and picking nits. We're all talking about the same thing and y'all insist on using different units and calling it out each time as if that changes anything about the fact that there is oxygen in the keg. If you want to keep debating moles vs ppm vs percents and how any of that matters in preventing air from magically getting into your keg when you open it, it's a free country, go for it and have a blast.

Yes, the assumption in the charts is that the O2 concentration at the start is 21% by weight, 21% by mole or 210,000 ppm (all the same thing). Safe assumption is that in this case we can treat the opened keg the same way. Notice the scale is not linear in these graphs. After 2 purges we are down to at least 75,000ppm or 7.5% (total by weight) air. Probably close to if not lower percentage than you would get by opening the lid, maybe using the charts in this situation will end up conservative by a purge, two stretching it.

ppm O2 after purge chart-doug293cz.png

ppm O2 after purge table-doug293cz.png

Dude, the point of all this is that you were wrong to say that a half full keg would need 20+ purges as opposed to the 12 in those graphs needed to get into sub PPM levels. Using that high school chem you talked about you can see that the volume doesn't matter as long as temperature and pressure are the same. percentage oxygen doesn't matter either because we know that the upper boundary condition is 21% and everything will always be that or lower. So the N2 required to purged the keg increases granted (oh snap the number of moles) but as long as you fill it to the same pressure the volume doesn't matter.

Get over the units dude. Don't argue about not knowing the percentages when it doesn't matter. That's the point. Oxygen is the great killer of beer but as long as you follow the steps to purge the head space as mentioned many times before. 12 purges at 30 PSI as per that table will get you into sub PPM independent of the volume.

Finished. I'm done trying to convince you of something that's true but that you're failing to grasp.

^ That's what I would do.

Adding small amounts of something doesn't need to be invasive. You could use the out port too, even remove the dip tube. Just have a slow flow of CO2 flushing the system while you work.

When adding dry hop bags to a (mostly) full, 100% pre-purged keg, I stream CO2 through the in-port at a decent flow, remove the lid, slowly drop the squeezed bag and replace with the new lid with a nut welded on the bottom to which the bag is tied. I then purge 5-10 times.

You guys have given me some great ideas. I could bubble CO2 in through the out port while the lid is off. That serve both to keep positive pressure flowing and also help mix the acid solution into the cider. Or I could remove the gas in port and pour through that, which would reduce the area that air could enter.

... and there are no moles in my cider :)

The other two options rather than worrying about purging are to either bottle what is left or just hurry up and drink the stuff!!! haha ;-)

I'm not good at math, but to answer your actual question I'd say a couple purges would be enough in your situation, because I don't believe cider is prone to oxidation like beer, unless we're talking about a very long period of time. Lots of Good Will Hunting on this thread.

I'm not good at math, but to answer your actual question I'd say a couple purges would be enough in your situation, because I don't believe cider is prone to oxidation like beer, unless we're talking about a very long period of time. Lots of Good Will Hunting on this thread.

Not true. Cider is very prone to oxidation. We cider makers are just as anal about it as you brewers. Better safe than sorry.

What do you assume the percent remaining is if not mass?

Yes, the assumption in the charts is that the O2 concentration at the start is 21% by weight, 21% by mole or 210,000 ppm (all the same thing). Safe assumption is that in this case we can treat the opened keg the same way. Notice the scale is not linear in these graphs. After 2 purges we are down to at least 75,000ppm or 7.5% (total by weight) air. Probably close to if not lower percentage than you would get by opening the lid, maybe using the charts in this situation will end up conservative by a purge, two stretching it.

you are both somewhat correct.

I am with Magic Matt in saying that a half-empty keg is likely to have a lot more air getting in than a full keg, and therefore will require a few more purges than a full keg to get to the same purge level. Each purge will reduce oxygen by the same ratio, regardless of total volume. So if you start with say 1L of air in half-full keg, vs. 0.125L of air in another, say full keg and each purge reduces it by say a factor of 2, it will take 3 purge cycle on first keg to get to the same amount of air as second keg.

But because we are normalizing ppm by the mass of beer in the keg, there's another factor of 2 for half-empty keg (less beer to adsorb oxygen), so you would need 4 more purge cycles for half-full keg with 1L of air in headspace to get to the same ppm as in full keg with 0.125L of air in headspace.

But I don't think you need 12 purges either. In your example above, I don't see how you get that 21% oxygen in headspace is 210,000 ppm. That's not correct - you need to normalize oxygen to beer (water) in the keg. The idea is most oxygen will get dissolved into beer eventually, so when someone says you want to keep oxygen <1 ppm say, it's oxygen to liquid ratio.
You need to calculate weight of oxygen in grams (1 L of air would contain 1/22.4*0.22 moles of oxygen, or about 0.3 grams), divided by 10kg or so (half full keg, 2.5 Gallons) of beer, or about 30 ppm.

So if you want to get below 1 ppm of oxygen, and each purge cuts amount of oxygen in half you will need 2^5=32, or 5 purges at ~14 psi or so.

If you started with say ~10L of air, or 300ppm (completely filled half of the keg with air), you will need another 3-4 purges or total of say 9 purges to get down below 1ppm. So maybe 12 purges is a bit of an overkill.

Matt, Doug - check my math please.

[EDIT: some people like techbrau advocate getting to below 0.15 ppm of oxygen in packaging, which means another ~3 purges, so maybe 12 or more purges is then justified from this perspective]

@55x11 I think you're confusing what PPM and percent are in this frame of reference. Oxygen is 21% by volume in air (which is the same as saying by mole since it is a gas) 21% is just .21 mole fraction times 100. 210,000 PPM is just mole fraction times 10^6. It's the same thing. I'm not sure where you are introducing mass and oxygen dissolving into beer as 300 PPM in 10L of air. Are you talking about the final amount of O2 that will dissolve into the beer?

Air is 210,000 PPMv regardless of the volume its in. that being said, I see where you're going with this but I think you're neglecting that it will take more CO2 to raise the larger headpace to that pressure. Here's an example,

say you have 1 L of headpace with 0.1grams oxygen (hypothetical making it easy on me). now you have 3L containing 0.3 grams of oxygen. Yes, there is 3X the headspace and 3X the oxygen but it will take 3X the amount of CO2 to increase the pressure of that headpace. So it constitutes the same cut for each purge as a full keg. with 3X the oxygen, 3X the headspace, and the same pressure you'll requires 3X the CO2.

The only thing I've been arguing this whole time.

This thread is 112% too mathy for me.

It's going to get worse in a big hurry. :D

My previous purge dilution charts and tables are based on % or ppm of O2 in the headspace. These are easy to understand since they are independent of headspace volume or beer volume. but, what really matters for beer stability (storage life) is Total Packaged Oxigen (TPO), and to determine TPO you need to know the mass of beer, the mass of O2 in the original beer, and the mass of O2 in the headspace (which depends on the headspace volume and O2 concentration in the headspace.) So, ppm O2 in the headspace is only part of the answer.

TPO is equal to the ratio of mass of the total O2 in the keg to the mass of the beer in the keg. Commercial brewers measure TPO in ppb (parts per billion.) Dissolved Oxygen (DO) is equal to the ratio of the mass of O2 in the beer to the mass of the beer. The TPO is equal to the DO (measured in ppb) plus the ratio of O2 mass in the headspace to beer mass (also in ppb.)

To prevent premature degradation of beer flavor due to packaged O2, the Total Packaged Oxygen (TPO) should be less than about 150 ppb (0.15 ppm) (ref: page 21 of http://www.craftbrewersconference.com/wp-content/uploads/2015_presentations/F1540_Darron_Welch.pdf.)

Let's do a little math. If we assume the beer starts with 100 ppb of DO, then the headspace contribution to TPO should be less than 50 ppb, based on the mass of the beer, not the volume of headspace. If we have a beer with an FG of 1.009, then the total O2 allowed is:
1.009 kg/L * 150e-9 = 1.5135e-07 kg/L = 1.5135e-04 g/L = 0.15135 mg/L​
2.5 gal of beer is 9.46 L, so the total allowed O2 in the keg would be:
1.5135e-04 g/L * 9.46 L = 14.323e-04 g = 1.4323 mg​
And the total allowed O2 in the headspace would be:
1.4323 mg * 50 ppb / 150 ppb = 0.477 mg​
Air at 0&#730;C (32&#730;F) has a density of 1.293 g/L. A "five" gal keg has a total volume of about 5.3 gal, so with 2.5 gal of beer, the headspace volume is about 2.8 gal, or 10.6 L. Air is 21% by weight O2. So, if we get 20% air in the headspace after removing the lid, making an addition, and replacing the lid, the mass of O2 in the headspace will be:
1.293 g/L * 10.6 L * 0.21 * 0.20 = 0.576 g => 576 mg​
This is way more than the 0.477 mg target for O2 in the headspace. Thus we must dilute the O2 in the headspace by:
576 mg / 0.477 mg = 1208 times reduction in O2​
The dilution equation for pressurized to atmospheric purging is:
Dilution = ((P[atm] + P[purge])/ P[atm]) ^ N, where N is the number of purge cycles​
We can solve for the required N by doing some algebra on the above equation to get:
N = ln(Dilution) / ln((P[atm] + P[purge])/ P[atm])​
If we purge at 30 psi, then for the dilution target of 1208, the equation becomes:
N = ln (1208) / ln((14.7 psi + 30 psi) / 14.7 psi) = ln(1208) / ln(3.041) = 6.38​
We can't do a fractional number of purges, so we need to round N up to 7. Thus, you need seven purges at 30 psi to get the headspace TPO contribution down to less than 50 ppb for the assumptions used.

Love the math and can hang with it, but referencing the handbook of common sense provides the OP the assurance she's requested. The headspace has low O2 to begin with. After relieving pressure, and removing the lid in an enviromnent without gross convective currents, I'd expect little exchange in the minute it takes to perform the procedure. The O2 will be far less then 21%, a couple of farts of CO2 should do it

this is the guy that star sans everything 10 times before using, including his pen, before writing down notes, lol. Some people get WAY too technical than needed. 1 or 2 purges is fine, co2 is so dense, and will fall below any oxygen, and 95% will come out on the first purge. Plus the fact that when you open the keg, the co2 blanket in there doesnt go anywhere. That blanket isnt going to fly out of there and be replaced with oxygen. You may get a bit of o2 in there with what you are doing, but not much at all. 20 or more purges does only one thing, waist co2

i think everyone on this thread is forgetting one major fact. Co2 is more dense than o2. When you take the lid off the keg, the co2 blanket does not go anywhere. Its not going to run away and be replaced by o2. You may get a tiny bit of o2 in there, but 95% of the co2 blanket is going to stay put. 1 or 2 purges will get rid of that tiny amount of o2 no problem.

this is the guy that star sans everything 10 times before using, including his pen, before writing down notes, lol. Some people get WAY too technical than needed. 1 or 2 purges is fine, co2 is so dense, and will fall below any oxygen, and 95% will come out on the first purge. Plus the fact that when you open the keg, the co2 blanket in there doesnt go anywhere. That blanket isnt going to fly out of there and be replaced with oxygen. You may get a bit of o2 in there with what you are doing, but not much at all. 20 or more purges does only one thing, waist co2

i think everyone on this thread is forgetting one major fact. Co2 is more dense than o2. When you take the lid off the keg, the co2 blanket does not go anywhere. Its not going to run away and be replaced by o2. You may get a tiny bit of o2 in there, but 95% of the co2 blanket is going to stay put. 1 or 2 purges will get rid of that tiny amount of o2 no problem.

No one is forgetting that CO2 has a higher molecular weight than "air"; however gasses mix by diffusion and do not stratify. There is no "blanket" and the CO2 IS actually going to "just fly out of there and be replaced with oxygen".

I have a solution. Just open it up, do what you need to do, purge it once. if it Oxidizes you can send it to me. I'll take one for the team and drink it. :D

Sorry, but you are just plain wrong. As @jddevinn noted, gases homogenize spontaneously, rather than stratifying. This is well known physics. The video below demonstrates how homogenization via diffusion works. Note that Br2 (used in the first demo) is 3.63 times heavier than CO2, and it homogenizes with air in about 30 minutes, when no convection is present. A later demo uses NO2, which is similar in weight to CO2 (46 vs 44). As shown the NO2 homogenizes much faster than the Br2. The presence of any convection will speed up the homogenization by orders of magnitude. The only time you can have a CO2 blanket is when you are generating CO2 faster than diffusion and/or convection dissipates the blanket.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oLPBnhOCjM[/ame]

Back