American Amber Partial Mash Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amh61

Reaction score
I've been trying to find a solid American Amber Ale partial mash recipe, but haven't had much luck. I have the ability to mash about 5lbs of grain.

If anyone could point me towards a good recipe I would be extremely grateful! (I'm running low on homebrews and need to brew soon!)

This is a 5-gal w/ 5 lbs grain partial mash recipe that I adapted from Jamil's 6-gal all grain recipe in Brewing Classic Styles. I've made a 7lb grain partial mash version of this several times. It's a very solid recipe.

OG 1.052, IBU ~35, 12 SRM, est ABV 5.2%
3 lbs Maris Otter (domestic 2-row would also work)
12 oz munich malt (9 srm)
8 oz crystal 40L
6 oz crystal 120L
6 oz victory
.5 oz horizon 13%aa at 60 min
.2 oz cascade 6% at 10 min
.2 oz centennial 9% at 10 min
.2 oz cascade 6% at 0 min
.2 oz centennial 9% at 0 min
3.5 lbs pale LME added at flameout
WLP001 or Wyeast1056 or US-05
Mash at 154 for 60 min, boil for 60 min, ferment at 67, carb to 2.6 vol

Good luck!

We've got quite a few good ambers in our recipe database. They are mixed in with other beers as it's in the "American ale" section, but it's really a good list of great recipes: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/

Any of those could be a partial mash recipe, whether all-grain or extract, as they are easily converted. If you find one you like, we can just help you turn it from an AG recipe into a PM recipe in a couple of minutes.

This is a 5-gal w/ 5 lbs grain partial mash recipe that I adapted from Jamil's 6-gal all grain recipe in Brewing Classic Styles. I've made a 7lb grain partial mash version of this several times. It's a very solid recipe.

OG 1.052, IBU ~35, 12 SRM, est ABV 5.2%
3 lbs Maris Otter (domestic 2-row would also work)
12 oz munich malt (9 srm)
8 oz crystal 40L
6 oz crystal 120L
6 oz victory
.5 oz horizon 13%aa at 60 min
.2 oz cascade 6% at 10 min
.2 oz centennial 9% at 10 min
.2 oz cascade 6% at 0 min
.2 oz centennial 9% at 0 min
3.5 lbs pale LME added at flameout
WLP001 or Wyeast1056 or US-05
Mash at 154 for 60 min, boil for 60 min, ferment at 67, carb to 2.6 vol

Good luck!

I'm starting to drink my batch of this. Came out excellent. Very easy drinking, very smooth. I had to replace the Maris Otter with American 2 row because my LHBS was out, but it still came out great. The color is nice and has a good malt backbone.

Next time I think I may up the Cascade and Centennial a little bit or maybe do some dryhopping.

Thanks for the recipe!

Glad the recipe turned out. I am going to use the malt recipe for my next brew day which is Saturday. I do have a few substitutes because it is what I have on hand.

Is there a rule for how much malt to use for a partial mash? I tried my first PM a few weeks ago and my efficiency was not good.

My set up is a 5 gallon cooler and I have an 8 gallon brew kettle. I am putting the grain in a bag as I do not have a false bottom and re-stirring about 30 min into the mash.

I have been told that I can use up to 10 lbs but I do not find many recipes for 10 lbs but usually around 5-6 lbs. Is it possible that my poor efficiency was from trying to use too much malt?

When I partial mashed, I always tried to use as much malt as I possibly could, which was about 7.5 lbs in my 4 gal cooler and 5 gal brew kettle. With a 5 gal cooler and an 8 gal brew kettle, you should be able to brew average strength 5 gal all grain batches, no problem. I'd just skip partial mashing and go all grain. Cheaper and easier, imo.

http://hbd.org/cascade/dennybrew/ will help you improve your efficiency.

When I partial mashed, I always tried to use as much malt as I possibly could, which was about 7.5 lbs in my 4 gal cooler and 5 gal brew kettle. With a 5 gal cooler and an 8 gal brew kettle, you should be able to brew average strength 5 gal all grain batches, no problem. I'd just skip partial mashing and go all grain. Cheaper and easier, imo.

http://hbd.org/cascade/dennybrew/ will help you improve your efficiency.

I've done all of the research humanly possible on this topic. I think my low efficiency was because I did not pay close attention to the amount of water.

I know I could go AG with my setup and I guess it basically is AG. I am basically using Deathbrewers method but using a cooler.

So I take 10 lbs of grain isn't too much.

Not with your gear. You should be able to mash nearly 13 lbs with a 1.25 water to grist ratio.

Btw, I started with Deathbrewers method using a cooler too. It's really not a big leap from that to AG batch sparging.

I'm liking this even more as it ages a little bit. Both of my brothers have declared it their favorite beer I've made. I've probably gone through half of my supply already.

I will be brewing this again soon on my new AG setup and will probably replace 2-row with Maris Otter.

I haven't tried it with 2-row so I can't really compare, but it's great with Maris Otter. A very full rich malty brew. Glad you're enjoying it.
:mug:

Back