Pin Lock to Ball Lock "R" type

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deathtomacro

Reaction score
Hey, guys.

I recently traded a fellow brewer a carboy for a Corney "R" type (I'm assuming because it says MSR above the Cornelius stamp) Pin Lock keg. I have three other Ball Lock kegs and no where on either Ball Lock will you read Firestone, Challenger..ect. In fact, one of them says Super Champion. So, I assume they're all R type kegs. If that's the case then they should be 19/32-18 size threads on the gas and liquid sides.

The problem is that, while the posts fit the pin lock, they don't screw down far enough for the poppets to seat tightly against the post's outlet. One can tell that there isn't as much clearance from the top of the keg to bottom of the male thread on the Pin Lock as there is on the Ball Lock.

Has anyone had the same experience? Could I potentially buy a taller poppet that might push up with more force?

Also, all my posts look like the new ones that would be sold online for Firestone kegs. My posts are original. Did they just look a lot alike back in the day? Like I said, one of my kegs actually says Super Champion. So, I know that Firestone fittings would NOT work on that keg. And yet, they "look like" Firestone fittings. It has me worried because I just purchased this: http://www.homebrewing.org/Keg-Post-Conversion-Kit-pin-lock-to-ball-lock-1932-18-Thread_p_1808.html

Thanks for the help!

Back