Super Cheap 3/8" copper tubing!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TANSTAAFB

Reaction score
I just found this site and was so surprised by the price I was sure there was a typo. So I asked a customer service rep in an instant online chat and he confirmed it...$18.79 for 50 feet of 3/8" copper tubing :rockin:

http://www.appliancepartspros.com/A...pper-tube-3-8-x-50-item-number-AP3770287.aspx

Edit: I just looked up other sizes and every one by this manufacturer is dirt cheap...

3/4" = $38.15
http://www.appliancepartspros.com/A...pper-tube-3-4-x-50-item-number-AP3769111.aspx

5/8" = $33.21
http://www.appliancepartspros.com/A...pper-tube-5-8-x-50-item-number-AP3768521.aspx

1/2" =$24.24
http://www.appliancepartspros.com/A...pper-tube-1-2-x-50-item-number-AP3770923.aspx

He said it is a special order item and can take up to 2 weeks to get it in before shipping to you, but at that price, who cares?!?!? This has GOT to be the cheapest price for a wort chiller out there right now. The best price I found one ready made for was about $75 with shipping from Amazon or NY Brew Supply. The cheapest I found the copper alone was only a little cheaper than that.

Is there something to be leary of? This seems too good to be true :D

Wow, I guess I thought this would get a more enthusiastic response...maybe I should move it to the Equipment or DIY thread!!!

I guess I'll bump and see :D

They all say "currently out of stock"

whats the deal?:confused:

I was going to make a Wort Chiller 6 months ago until I saw how copper tubing cost more per once than conflict diamonds.

Did you place an order?

I am definitely enthusiastic about this deal- but cautious optimism.

(everyone else probably has already spent a $75-125 on wort chiller)

They all say "currently out of stock"

whats the deal?:confused:

I was going to make a Wort Chiller 6 months ago until I saw how copper tubing cost more per once than conflict diamonds.

Did you place an order?

The customer service rep said it is special order so it says out of stock. You order, they order, they get, they ship. I have not ordered yet as I am hoping someone pops up with some experience with this company or brand of copper. I'm not sure WHY it wouldn't work, but still seems too good to be true. Why is this one brand half to a third as expensive as others?

And if I do order I want to get my FIL in on it as well and he is out of town until tonight. Hell, at that price I might order some extra 1/2" and make 'em and sell 'em on ebay or Amazon...I could beat everyones 3/8" x 25' price with a 1/2" x 50'!!!

Hell, at that price I might order some extra 1/2" and make 'em and sell 'em on ebay or Amazon...I could beat everyones 3/8" x 25' price with a 1/2" x 50'!!!

Read my mind... Wort Chillers "R" US as my new company $$cha-ching$$

But can't help but think- wouldn't someone have done that already?

Is there anything there to indicate that this is flexible tubing? I've seen several youtube videos and such where folks have taken flexible rolls of tubing and wrapped them around a corny keg to produce a chiller - but I don't see anything here to really indicate for certain that this is that type of tubing and not 50' of rigid tubing that'd be far harder to shape into a wort chiller...

I'm Realizing that although this may be too good to be true- it definitely will be after a hundred homebrewers order from this site and they increase the price to cover the cost or stop supplying. All I want is my 50' of 3X8 or 1/2 so I can get the right one the first time- no buying cheap equipment only to upgrade when I move to larger batches!

Let me know when/if you make an order.
Thanks
Matt

That is an amazing price. I got mine on Amazon about a year ago for $35 shipped.

They are out of stock, and the pictures are not loading for me.
No matter though. I just paid $45 for a 50ft roll of 3/8 tubing last week and made my chiller. That deal does seem too good to be true.

I went ahead and ordered some with my credit card; I figure if it does not work out, I will not be out any money (my CC company will reimburse if the company does not). I figure at this price it is worth a shot. I am getting by with my current chiller, but really wanted to try something new; this price allows that.

That, plus this is basically the same price for 1/2" as the 50' rolls of silicon tubing on ebay that everyone was clamoring over. In my book, it was/is worth a shot.

:mug:

I'm Realizing that although this may be too good to be true- it definitely will be after a hundred homebrewers order from this site and they increase the price to cover the cost or stop supplying.

That'd be a pretty crappy business model..."oh crap, they are buying too much from us, we better stop selling it or else we will have to work." Must be gov't run :)

Is it nominal or actual o.d.? Sometimes the softer rolls are actual.

No clue. There is no description other than the dimensions (which I verified w/ a rep) and the price. I cannot imagine this is rigid tubing--that is only sold in 10 and 20' increments not 50' and is always MORE expensive. It is probably a utility grade or refrigeration grade thin walled tubing.

I just ordered 2 1/2" rolls. Shipping was & $7.25, rolls were $24.24 each. Checkout was via paypal, so there is some layer of protection, I already received my confirmation from the company, and they have BBB certified, "Voted Best of the Web" by Internet Retailer Magazine, and Bizrate "Circle of Excellence" plastered all over their site with customer service Phone numbers and instant chat available on each page. Seems pretty legit to me.

I hope this price is not an oversight on their part and we actually found a great price on copper. A good retailer will stand by their price even if they discover that their supplier went up and I don't want anyone to lose money on this.

I just ordered a roll of the 3/8 x 50. For $20 it's worth a chance...

Thanks for the heads up on this.:mug:

I just ordered a roll of the 3/8 x 50. For $20 it's worth a chance...

Thanks for the heads up on this.:mug:

I'm right there in the boat with ya if it is crap...but I figure I can sell 50' of crap for more than $25 as long as its COPPER crap :D

If this works out for me (I just purchased some) I'd be happy to send the 25 feet I won't be needing to somebody for 10 bucks plus shipping cost!

This is my first post by the way... so... Hello out there!

Yeah, I would be wondering...type M copper tubing (the thinnest walled of the 3 common types) weighs just over .10 lb/ft in 3/8" OD. ASTM standards are that copper pipe be 99.9% pure copper. Spot is currently $4.39/lb so that means the cost of the 50' coil as scrap would run about $23 alone. So, either someone is losing money or something is amiss (either my math, their lack of attention on price, or they aren't saying something).

website says you can return for a full refund if not satisfied, but i think you will probably have to pay return shipping

says the Brand is PMI, from the PMI website, all they mention about copper is
Alloys available: * At PMI, we have cast over 200 different ferrous and non-ferrous air-meltable alloys. Our family of alloys includes numerous grades of:

Copper-based * red and yellow brass, silicon brass and bronze, beryllium copper

It seems worth a shot.. I am usually willing to take a risk on a deal, and it usually works out. But.. And it may be irrational, but with the global market we have, my first question is: Where is it from? Can I rely on the integrity of the vendor.

It is going into boiling wort, and will be in contact with cooled wort. I'd like a low lead,Arsenic,Chromium,Cobalt..etc level. I don't know enough about metalurgy to know if this is an issue, but that site looks a little ""industrial""

So is this stuff food safe??

In for one roll of the 1/2". Total was $33.85 (they charge tax in CA). I'll post when it arrives.

Figured at this price it's worth a shot. The silicon hose worked out pretty well, after all ... :)

Thanks OP for the heads up!

If this works out for me (I just purchased some) I'd be happy to send the 25 feet I won't be needing to somebody for 10 bucks plus shipping cost!

This is my first post by the way... so... Hello out there!

Use all 50' and you will cool much faster...people settle for 25' because of cost. At these prices no need to settle! I will [robably take 10-15' and make a pre-chiller. It gets freakin HOT here in Texas :cross:

Welcome to your new obsession :mug:

I am definitely enthusiastic about this deal- but cautious optimism.

(everyone else probably has already spent a $75-125 on wort chiller)

I paid $18 for 25 ft of 3/8" tubing from Loew's in Canada 3 weeks ago

Built my powered chiller using 12v Mini-Pump for a total cost of for about $30:) I even saved 20% off the total cost with promotional coupon

Deltac

Alloys available: * At PMI, we have cast over 200 different ferrous and non-ferrous air-meltable alloys. Our family of alloys includes numerous grades of:

Copper-based * red and yellow brass, silicon brass and bronze, beryllium copper

mmm, beryllium copper

Yea, that is what kinda spooks me. You don't get a description of what this tubing is intended for.

Hmmm... good point. Why doesn't someone just call them and ask? I'll try to do that in the morning (they're closed right now).

Well, I tried to chat with the company today, and the person I was chatting with couldn't give me any additional information. They referred me to the company's "repair forum," which is where people post questions about repairing specific appliances. Couldn't find an obvious place to post a question about what kind of tubing this is, so I guess I'm going to have to roll with it ...

I'll post when it shows up if people are interested. Still seems too cheap to not give it a shot.

I'm sure it isn't beryllium as that stuff is extremely toxic; but, math is math, something is fishy. I hope you all end up getting lucky and finding a good deal.

FWIW, the Lowes by me sells 20' 3/8" "utility grade" coil for $12.90 So, you could get 40' for $26. I know it's not quite the deal you guys are getting plus it's a little shorter but you don't have to pay shipping and you can actually look at it.
I'm not sure how prices fluctuate across the US.
Just a thought.

A little poking around the internet leads me to believe this is manufactured by Precision Metal Industries of India (there are a few PMIs). Their website is crappy.

This may be recycled Cu or there may be some price dumping involved here.

Back