Black Tuesday Clone - The Bruery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just curious how you guys are accounting for your gravity points added by the dextrose additions?

Trying to figure out how to stick a recipe like this into Beersmith or Brewer's Friend.

Just curious how you guys are accounting for your gravity points added by the dextrose additions?

Trying to figure out how to stick a recipe like this into Beersmith or Brewer's Friend.

I use BeerSmith. Add the dextrose (or whatever sugar source you plan to use) as you normally do. Then in the design screen, click on the dextrose/sugar and check the box, "Add after boil". Your gravity will be adjusted to include the dextrose/sugar, but on your brew sheets, all the OG numbers will be without the sugar additions.

More directly to your question, I'm use 46 as the potential gravity points per pound per gallon. I'm calculating that I'll get ~5.5gal out of this batch. So the math works out like this:

(46 / 5.5) * 0.75 = 6.27

So, for every 12oz dextrose addition I'm making, I'm increasing my OG by 0.00627. I started at 1.124. I've done (3) 12oz additions so my adjusted gravity is now 1.1428.

Thanks for the detailed explanation! Checking in Brewer's Friend it looks like there is no "post boil" option. The best it can do is add it as a late edition. Using the formula though makes it easy enough!

So I believe I've added my final additions this morning, my fermentation is slowing down and if I get this finished it'll be 19.4%. I used a brew in the bag profile and split my 2, 10 gallon coolers to hold over 20 lbs of grain each. I ran the first runnings off in to the boil. 1/8 tsp of nutrients were added at every sugar feeding. The left over grains were cold sparged and now have a 6 gal tart of darkness going (clonish). I'll play around with the extra 2 gallons from this recipe. Now to let it age then oak it. :mug:

A few thoughts for next time

-Lower mash temps possibly? Although the 1.044 isn't bad, it would give me a little wiggle room if the yeast stalls out.

- Lots of head space, this thing tried to crawl out of the fermentor.

-start early with the yeast nutrients (Possibly treat it like a mead with the additions) 1/8 tsp of nutrients were added at every feeding

Recipe: Everest (Black T)

Style: Imperial Stout

TYPE: All Grain

Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications

--------------------------

Boil Size: 9.40 gal

Post Boil Volume: 6.74 gal

Batch Size (fermenter): 6.00 gal

Bottling Volume: 5.90 gal

Estimated OG: 1.183 SG

Estimated Color: 87.0 SRM

Estimated IBU: 42.7 IBUs

Brewhouse Efficiency: 44.50 %

Est Mash Efficiency: 47.3 %

Boil Time: 120 Minutes

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

21 lbs 7.4 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 42.7 %

4 lbs 8.3 oz Oats, Flaked (Briess) (1.4 SRM) Grain 2 9.0 %

4 lbs 7.4 oz Munich Dark 30L (Gambrinus) (35.0 SRM)Grain 3 8.9 %

2 lbs 10.9 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 4 5.3 %

2 lbs 9.3 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 5 5.1 %

1 lbs 14.4 oz Peated Malt (Simpsons) (2.5 SRM) Grain 6 3.8 %

1 lbs 6.4 oz Caramel Malt - 60L (Briess) (60.0 SRM) Grain 7 2.8 %

14.4 oz Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 8 1.8 %

5.1 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 9 0.6 %

4 lbs Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 10 8.0 %

1.20 oz Magnum [11.00 %] - Boil 90.0 min Hop 11 42.7 IBUs

2.0 pkg Tennessee Whisky Yeast (White Labs #WLP0 Yeast 12 -

1.0 pkg Super High Gravity Ale (White Labs #WLP0 Yeast 13 -

6 lbs 1.1 oz Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 14 12.1 %

1.20 oz Oak Cubes (Secondary 12.0 weeks) Flavor 15 -

Mash Schedule: BIAB/No Sparge, Medium Body

Total Grain Weight: 50 lbs 4.7 oz

----------------------------

Name Description Step Temperat Step Time

Saccharification Add 15.23 gal of water at 164.4 F 153.0 F 75 min

Notes:

------

Black T attempt,

M1 154* M2 152

1.074 pre boil, 2 hour boil

1.110 end of boil, 4 lbs of dme Added

1.136 at pitching with 6.5 gal. Oxygenated at pitching and 12 hour later

11/9 lost 1/2 gal to blow off

11/12 krausen has fallen gravity of 1.052 @69* currently 11.2%, 3L of 099 cold crashing. Added .76 of Dextrose and a 1/2 tsp of yeast nutrients. .75 dextrose in the evening. (OG now 1.148)

11/15 Fg of 1.040 added wlp099 (3L starter decanted) and.76 of dextrose in the morning. .76 dextrose added in the PM (OG now 1.161)brew belt added to keep temps from stalling out the yeast

11/16 .76 of dextrose added in Am. (OG now 1.167) .76 of dextrose in PM

11/17 .76 in the AM

11/18 FG of 1.044 .76 in the AM (OG now 1.183) almost 7 gallons now

3 gal Mineral Additions

G 2.38

Eps 0.79

B.S. 3.97

Cal Chl. 1.83

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com

I use BeerSmith. Add the dextrose (or whatever sugar source you plan to use) as you normally do. Then in the design screen, click on the dextrose/sugar and check the box, "Add after boil". Your gravity will be adjusted to include the dextrose/sugar, but on your brew sheets, all the OG numbers will be without the sugar additions.

More directly to your question, I'm use 46 as the potential gravity points per pound per gallon. I'm calculating that I'll get ~5.5gal out of this batch. So the math works out like this:

(46 / 5.5) * 0.75 = 6.27

So, for every 12oz dextrose addition I'm making, I'm increasing my OG by 0.00627. I started at 1.124. I've done (3) 12oz additions so my adjusted gravity is now 1.1428.

How is yours coming along?

How is yours coming along?

Checked on it on the 19th and it was still bubbling a bit. That was a week after the final dextrose addition. I hope it was just off-gassing some because if this thing goes below 1.030, I'll be worried there is something else in there eating the sugars/starches. I plan to give it a couple more weeks in primary before moving to a keg for long-term storage.

Checked on it on the 19th and it was still bubbling a bit. That was a week after the final dextrose addition. I hope it was just off-gassing some because if this thing goes below 1.030, I'll be worried there is something else in there eating the sugars/starches. I plan to give it a couple more weeks in primary before moving to a keg for long-term storage.

Awesome, keep us updated, what was your final abv? I'll be honest 1.042 on mine doesn't taste too sweet, especially with the higher abv giving it a thinner mouthfeel. I was worried at first with it.

Cheers brother! Keep us updated. I'd be interested in a bottle swap later if your up for it?

Bump, I'd like to get some info on cloning this.
40.gif
41.gif
62.gif

Bump, I'd like to get some info on cloning this.
40.gif
41.gif
62.gif

My recipe is attached as well as m's. Without a solid recipe from them its more of a tribute to Black Tuesday than a clone (idoubt theres any peat smoked in BT,but i thought it might add complexity) , but all the info is in this thread. Let me know how I can help:mug:

Btw your pics didn't show up...

Awesome, keep us updated, what was your final abv? I'll be honest 1.042 on mine doesn't taste too sweet, especially with the higher abv giving it a thinner mouthfeel. I was worried at first with it.

Cheers brother! Keep us updated. I'd be interested in a bottle swap later if your up for it?

I have (2) other imperial stouts (one with bourbon soaked oak chips and one with cinnamon/vanilla/peppers) that finished at 1.035 and I thought they were spot on. I know BCBS finishes around 1.042. I wouldn't worry about a higher FG. I am worried about going below 1.030 because I think it's going to lose some sweetness needed to cut through the 19% ABV and mouthfeel.

Using the high ABV calculator, my ABV comes to 19.4%. Last time I tasted it, it certainly had some warming to it but I wouldn't guess it was nearly 40-proof. I'm sure after an extended aging period, it'll drink even better.

I'll measure and taste it again whenever I move it to a keg. Then I'll probably let it sit until the end of Summer '16 before adding some cocoa nibs, vanilla and bourbon.

I've ordered a Chinese knockoff BeerGun. If the thing ever arrives, I plan to bottle up some of these bigger beers. We can swap one of these next year.

I've noticed you in some of the other threads, my Hunaphu clone is drinking nicely at a yr. this one will definitely need some time. This one will get some oak and bourbon, I haven't decided on my extra gallon and a half, thinking of tart cherries and nibs....

Higher ABV calculator? I've only used beersmith, you have a link?

Any thoughts on the staggered yeast and sugar additions?

Never saw this for some reason. Things didn't go as planned for me. The batch I brewed as a starter was nice but I wasn't ready to harvest. I did the grain bill with 007 yeast and no sugar additions. Yeast pooped out at 1.024 and I just kegged it today. Really want to give the yeast bay dry Belgian and adding sugar in primary a go sometime soon though.

Higher ABV calculator? I've only used beersmith, you have a link?

Sorry for the delay Sleepy. Here is the info on the High ABV Calculator.

ABV =(76.08 * (og-fg) / (1.775-og)) * (fg / 0.794)

I pulled a sample of my Black Tuesday-ish beer (affectionately called BANE) yesterday and it is drinking fantastic! Brewed about 11-months ago now. Soooo much going on. I've added nibs, vanilla, oak and bourbon along the way.

Funny thing, at that high of ABV level, I've had a hard time force carbing. I put the keg in my kegorator and just attached the gas at the same pressure as my serving kegs (12 psi) and BANE is still nearly flat after having been on gas for nearly (2) months. So I've begun hitting the keg at 20 psi periodically in effort to get more carbonation into solution prior to me bottling it.

No worries, I know how life is... appreciate it!

I had to do 30 psi for 48 hours... and still wasn't the best, it's carbed... but never what other beers are. Bane, love it! I've labeled mine Comfortably Numb. Need to start another one in the pipeline here soon

I do one huge beer a year and tried that BCBS recipe 2wks ago. I'm good for a bit but do tend to brew some 8%-10% stouts along the way too.

Back