Shiner Frost!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpruett

Reaction score
Anyone else had the new Shiner Frost seasonal beer? It's supposed to be a Dortmunder style beer, and it's good!

It's definitely hoppy- if I had to estimate it, it's probably at least 30 IBU, and it's malty, grainy, etc... probably the best thing Shiner's made by far, and if not in the Dortmunder style exactly, it's probably pretty close- closer than their attempt at Helles or Oktoberfest, anyway.

It's the first in the 2010 seasonal beers by Spoetzl, and the next one's supposed to be a Czech style pilsner, so I'm looking forward to that.

probably the best thing Shiner's made by far, and if not in the Dortmunder style exactly, it's probably pretty close

Was just searching "Shiner Frost" to see what others thought when I saw this. You're right, it's damn good! It's got me contemplating a recipe now, but where to start????

Ideas anyone?

I have not had much luck finding Shiner Frost. Specs and HEB probably have the best selection in town. HEB didn't have anything and Specs only had 12 packs. I wonder if I've already missed it.

The Shiner 101 pilsner is out now. I liked it, nice and crisp.

was in a beer/wine store in suburban st. louis today and saw Frost there, picked up a sixer on the recommendation of this thread and very glad I did! nice beer, sort of a minerally hop character that is nice... wish they sold this in iowa!

edit: just was reading the bottle and they repeatedly refer to this as an ale... i would assume that it's a lager though??

was in a beer/wine store in suburban st. louis today and saw Frost there, picked up a sixer on the recommendation of this thread and very glad I did! nice beer, sort of a minerally hop character that is nice... wish they sold this in iowa!

edit: just was reading the bottle and they repeatedly refer to this as an ale... i would assume that it's a lager though??

Its a lager. TX law states that any beer with an abv above 5 has to be labeld as either a malt liquor or ale. So, they labeled it as an ale.

There were more 6's at HEB, but they are selling fast. Its good stuff for sure.

Its a lager. TX law states that any beer with an abv above 5 has to be labeld as either a malt liquor or ale. So, they labeled it as an ale.

I am sure that makes perfect sense.

To a Texan! :p

I had seen it but was turned off by the "Frost" bit. I'll have to grab a single or a sixer next time I am at the bottle shop.

Picked up a 6 pack of it the other day. I really like it, very well balanced between the hops and the malt.

@Gila - i totally agree, if i saw frost and decided not to read the package, i would assume it was a spiced christmas ale or something along those lines.

thanks for the 'texas law', that's really odd!

Hi all! Newbie here - had to join when I saw the thread on Frost. I'm a Native Texan and been drinking Shiner forever -- but this Frost is the best shiner I've ever had - by far. And that's saying a lot compared to the Shiner 97 of a few years ago.

Recipe anyone? Once this is gone, I want to make my own for football season!

Duffman - any ideas? I'd be happy to help experiment and share results. It's been years since I last made a batch, but this is going to be my first batch to dust off the old carboy...

Cheers,
Matt

Hey horn, I've been really busy with work and have a Las Vegas trip planned for the first couple of days off that I have which will be the 4th of July.

But don't give up on me......I'd love for this to be my next lager. I also have a summer saison in the works for the next beer but if you have any ideas or suggestions, let me know! And also, how do you brew? AG, Partial Mash? I think I have a clue as how to start, but I definitely need to do a little more research.

Cheers

Hey horn, I've been really busy with work and have a Las Vegas trip planned for the first couple of days off that I have which will be the 4th of July.

But don't give up on me......I'd love for this to be my next lager. I also have a summer saison in the works for the next beer but if you have any ideas or suggestions, let me know! And also, how do you brew? AG, Partial Mash? I think I have a clue as how to start, but I definitely need to do a little more research.

Cheers

Duff - I'm in no huge hurry... I just want it ready in time for football season and I assume I'll need to practice once or twice...

Best I can recall, I did partial mash. I think it was a Celis Pale Bock clone (when Pierre was still in Austin and it was still good beer).

Do I recall correctly that Lagers are much more complicated to homebrew than ales? I only did ales before going into semi-retirement...

cheers,
Matt

Do I recall correctly that Lagers are much more complicated to homebrew than ales? I only did ales before going into semi-retirement...

It's not so much that they're more complicated, but you might possibly need more equipment. You can't just leave them in the bucket on the counter because you'll need colder temps. I bought myself a chest freezer off craig's list and with a temp regulater I can keep my lagers at proper temps of 39 - 50F. So, if you can do that it's the same as ales. A little colder and a little more time.

And although I haven't tried it yet, some people here say that you can ferment laglers warm like ales if you use the right yeast. So, we could always look into that too :rockin:

Back