Questions about my first Wheat Beer Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drew_101

Reaction score
I just picked up my first Northwestern Weizen kit. I was wondering if these were any different than any other kits? I also piced up liquid yeast with this from white labs. How should I do the yeast I have always stuck with dry yeast? The recipe is this

6 lb of LME
1 oz of Hallertu Hersbrucher Hop Pellets
1 oz of Hallertau Tradition Pellet Hops

The instructions say to get 2 -3 gal of water put in Malt then bring to a boil
When it gets to 10 min into boil add the Tradition Hops
When it gets to 30 min into boil add the Hersbrucher hops

When 50 min boil is complete put in ice bath

After 7 days it is ready to bottle.

On all my other brews I always keep in primary for 3 weeks what should I do with this wheat kit? I know that wheat beers are not clear soooo.... What should I do??????

Thanks

Primary for 14 days (or 5 days after FG is reached)
Bottle for at least 14 days before opening

The recipe is a guideline at best. I wouldn't say you're a n00b as this isn't your first batch, so stick to what you know is best. Trust your intuition and hydrometer. Also, it never hurts to make a starter for your yeast, but typically wheats do ok without one.

my recipe doesn't say what the FG should be.... So what should it be? Also the owner of the HBS shop sayed for the yeast was to keep it in the fridge till I get ready to brew then get it out and let it set at room temp. for bout 3-6 hours is that all I need to do.

A FG target is always nice to have, but don't sweat it. Just let it ride until you get a steady reading for 3 straight days, then let it ride for another 5-7 to let the yeast clean things up.

Yes, keep the yeast in the refer until your brew day. I typically take it out the morning of while I'm cleaning, sanitizing and prepping the gear.

Do I just pour the vial into wort after it has been at room temp?
Do I swirl the vial or what??

Thanks

Shake the crap out of it once after taking it out of the refer, once while you're waiting on the wort to cool and then again before you pitch. Some here will probably see a problem with my approach, but so far I've pretty good results. This is, of course, assuming you're not using a starter. Those yeastie beasties are hardy as hell.

Drew, is this a 5 gallon batch? If so, you should consider making a starter. I haven't run the math on your recipe, but what comes in that vial is typically not enough yeast count and you will underpitch.
That doesn't mean that you will not make beer, it just means that you will likely have a slow ferment and the possibility of under attentuating.

Use this caluculator Mr Malty Pitching Rate Calculator

and search around to learn how to make a starter, it's really easy, but it takes a couple of days.

I wouldn't worry with a starter. I made a wit with WLP 400 and it blew out the top in less than 24 hours

Latest posts

Back