Schlafly No. 15 Sorta

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

305guy

Reaction score
I'm shooting for something similar to Schlafly (St. Louis Brewing Company) No. 15 Ale. It's somewhere between an APA and American Wheat. Here's what I have from BeerSmith:

8# American 2-Row Pale Malt
2# Dark Wheat Malt
1# Munich Malt

0.5oz Cascade 60 min
1.0oz Cascade 5 min
0.5oz Cascade 1 min

Wyeast 1056 - American Ale

OG Estimate - 1.052
FG Estimate - 1.012
Estimated Color - 7.6
Bitterness - 18.7
Estimated ABV - 5.47%

Thoughts? Suggestions?

I've not had Schlafy No. 15

Looks like an OK ale to me though. I've not used Dark What extract before so I'm not sure what all flavors you'll get from that. You may want to add in a bit of crystal if you are looking for any caramel/sweetness. The hops look light, but that is generally the case for wheat beers I've tried.

Is this the one that is spicy and in the green bottle? casue i love that beer and i just assumed they used some sort of spice in it.

let me know how it turns out because next to the Kolsh this is my favorite.

Honestly, I forgot about the spice. I don't remember it tasting too strong. It's more likely a result of the hops they use (which in retrospect the Cascade won't do). This is also my first attempt at a clone, so more likely than not, I'll be way off.

Anyway, I brewed it Saturday. The color looks right, and I got an OG of 1.057. The estimated OG I got from BeerSmith was assuing a 64% efficiency, which is what I got on my last brew (pretty awful) but this time I got up to 71%. I'll never complain about it coming out with a little more alcohol than expected!

From Schlafly's website:

Our 15th Anniversary Ale! A medium-bodied amber-colored ale with a delightful wheaty flavor and a fruity, spicy finish.

ABV:6%
IBU: 15

well either way let me know how you like it. Your prolly right about the spicy comming from the hops, i wonder what kind they use?

You can get spicy / piney flavors using Hefe IV yeast. Depends what kind of spice flavor you are after.

-OCD

So i guess this is a hybrid ale/wheat with the Hefe IV yeast? I may have to get another 6 pack and see if i can come close.

Yea, it definitely has some wheat in it, but I got the impression it was far less than a typical wheat beer.

I emailed Schlafly just to see if they'd be willing to give more info on the No. 15. Here's what they said on that one specifically:
Although we don't share our recipes directly, I can give you a bit of
guidance. Check out the website for the stats on most of our beers.
For the No.15, think spiced Dunkelweizen. We did a bit of experimenting
with it, which is one of the joys of homebrewing. Use different yeast
strains after reading the descriptions of each; you're bound to find
something that will work for you.

They also suggested checking out recipes in Dave Miller's books since he was their first head brewer and "many of [their] beers originated from the research he did". Though that suggestion wasn't specifically in response to my question about No. 15.

Here we are almost 8 years later.

How did this turn out? I am very curious if you made any headway as I was just thinking of trying to clone this myself and came across your thread.

No. 15 was my absolute favorite schlafly bre followed closely by their Bier De Garde french farmhouse ale.

Please let us know how this effort turned out!!!

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back